The wheel of time!

On-topic discussion of other works and interests.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

AnnaEstel

Re: Book 12.1

Post by AnnaEstel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:23 am

Ok, got it read it. Not bad. Slow start, but then it moves (finally!). The new guy does do a reasonably good job of sounding like Jordan. Now awaiting the next two.....
Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:15 am

Is anyone else still reading this series?

Any thoughts on Book 12: Part 2: Towers of Midnight?

I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but the threads are starting to come back together. A few loose ends tied up, but mostly just getting back into proximity. I had a couple of Ohhhh-so-that's-why moments, things that I didn't really get from the last book that make sense to me now. Other than that, the pacing was good, the narration has more of Brandon Sanderson's voice (which is good in a lot of cases, but I miss Robert Jordan's action descriptions), and for the second book in a row, there was no description of the Amyrlin's study!

I'm ready for the series to be over... I don't want to wait another year or 18 months for the last book. :x
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

AnnaEstel

Post by AnnaEstel » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:56 pm

TookFullOfIt just finnished it, and I'm waiting to start it. Good to hear it is headed to the end.

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:17 pm

I am in the process of rereading this wonderful series. I love Jordan's writing, though the ending for each book seemed a bit rushed for my tastes.

Over the years, I've heard several rumors of a TV series and, I think as late as 2013, of a movie covering the book The Eye of the World since Universal paid for the rights to the series.

Considering the success of The Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones, you would think Universal would be deep in production at this point but if they are no one is talking about it. Personally, I would prefer it done as a TV series; one book per season for a total of 14 seasons. I'm not sure you could hold interest enough to do it as a series of movies. I think 14 movies would be a lot more than a studio is willing to commit to. With a lot of condensing, they might take that down to 7 or 8 and be in the ballpark of Harry Potter but I doubt the outcome would be worth seeing.

Any thoughts? Could PJ be coaxed into doing this series for TV perhaps?

As a kicker, how many have seen this?

Flight from Shadow
Purveyor of ancient songs

AnnaEstel

Post by AnnaEstel » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:38 am

I think that after the first four or five books, a LOT of the remaining books are crammed full of fluff. I've often said that if the last ten books were instead 4, it would have been a better series. That's just IMHO. That said, it could work as either a series of moves or a TV show, IF you pay no attention to which events happen in which books and instead re-group the major events into more reasonable units. I don't think some of the later books could support and entire season of shows. (too much fluff, see above :wink: ) but two books condensed into one season might work. That would be about 7-8 seasons or movies - much more workable.

I did not like how it was wrapped up. I know the last few books were not written by Jordan. But the first couple after his death seem to follow his style. Then BAM! Last two chapters its like the new guy just gave up and finished. Ah well, can't win them all.

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:19 pm

The first thing you'd have to do is dig through each book and pull out details that are strictly visual - look of Two Rivers, mountains, cities, etc. That would probably cut 50% or more out of each book. Then you'd have to pull out all of the "thinking" dialogue and convert the necessary bits into actor directions or actual dialogue. You would probably cut out another 30% doing that. The remaining 20% of each book would be the action sequences that get turned into the scripts.

The real problem with doing that would be developing the characters then. Just watching Mat and Rand in the short fan film I listed above it is hard to get a real sense of the difference between the two. Quite a lot of what makes each of the characters so enjoyable and different in the books is their agonized thoughts on what is happening to them, is about to happen to them, or what is happening to others because of them. That is very hard to do in a film, as we are now experiencing with The Hobbit. It is very hard to present Bilbo without actually hearing what he's thinking as he goes from a quiet country lord to a not so quiet country adventurer. Martin Freeman is doing a good job of it in his expressions and actions, but it just isn't enough; at least for me. Considering the number of characters in Wheel of Time, this would be at least three times as hard, if you only tried to do it with the ta'veren. If you added Egwene, Nynaeve, Moiraine, etc. it would quickly become unworkable. Perhaps this is why Universal is taking so long?
Purveyor of ancient songs