The Dingle Ball Incident ~ A Two Part Inklet

Original Tolkien-based writings of all kinds.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Dínelleth

The Dingle Ball Incident ~ A Two Part Inklet

Post by Dínelleth » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:26 am

This insanity has its inspiration in Odie's love to chase his dingle ball in the comic strip Garfield.

The Dingle Ball Incident

“By now, we are all aware of how curious Pippin can be. Therefore, I am sure it will come as no surprise to you gentle reader when I say he is at it again! This time I fear he is delving into something that will only bring on the end of Rivendell as we know it!”

Pippin paused in his insertion of a small silver bell into the slit he had made in a small red rubber ball so he could look up at me.

“Who are you talking to Dín?” he asked. “We are the only ones in this hallway broom closet!”

“Technically we are never alone Pip. Readers of LOTR fan fiction are everywhere!”

As if on cue, dramatic theme music begins to play until some one bumps the record player’s arm, which ends it with a grating scratching sound.

“It is so hard to find good help these days,” I teased the elsewhere soundman who replied by giving me a raspberry.

“Dín has anyone told you how annoying you can be with these sound effects?” Pip asked while he resumed his work.

I grinned. “It’s just one of the perks you get when you have a Poetic License to write like I have.”

The hobbit softly snorted back. Then he held up his finished handiwork. “Okay let us see if this really turns male elves into playful puppies!” he said eagerly.

“Seriously Pip this is not a wise idea! They will wreck the place in their effort to fetch and bring the dingle ball back!”

“Now you are sounding like Merry!”

I threw my hands up in exasperation. “Then you cannot say I did not warn you once the dust from Rivendell’s downfall settles!”

“Honestly Dín must you be so dramatic! I doubt this bell and ball will make them do all that!”

After that, Pip carefully opened the closet door and once he was sure the way was clear he slipped out and quietly made his way down the hall towards Lord Elrond’s study.

I sighed before following him and then groaned in dismay to myself when I saw its door stood slightly ajar. Then I paled when I saw that Lord Elrond, his twin sons Elrohir and Elladan, Legolas, Glorfindel, Erestor, Gandalf, and Aragorn sat within.

Meanwhile Pip had rolled the ball in through the opening.

Dingle…dingle…dingle…dingle it merrily went as it made its way past the now startled group.

Instantly all six elves tried to pounce on it like eager puppies wanting to play.

Now this resulted in them all landing in a pile on top of the ball, which somehow managed to squirt out from under them.

Dingle…dingle…dingle…dingle it called in a tempting manner as it rolled into the adjoining room while the pile of elves scrambled after it their minds totally under its hypnotic spell.

Meanwhile Gandalf had quickly opened the door.

“Peregrin Took I should have known only you would be behind something like this!” he said angrily before he spied me. “Do not tell me you are in on this too?” he added in a shocked tone of voice.

However, before I could reply the loud sounds of breaking glass and furniture emanated from the next room. Then the sound of many books hitting the floor preceded a floor shaking crash.

“I am most certainly not!” I said firmly. “I told Pip this was a bad idea but you know how that goes.”

“Yes I do unfortunately,” the wizard said with a sigh of exasperation.

By then the hobbit had hid behind me while he clutched at my skirt, as a child who knows he has misbehaved would do in order to curry protection from the punishment at the hands of another.

“Look out!” Aragorn warned as the dingle ball bounced with a merry dingle…dingle…dingle… back into Lord Elrond’s study with all six elves still in hot pursuit. By now, their hair and clothes were soaked and stained in various shades of purple from the bottles of wine they had broken.

“Aragorn we have got to stop that ball! If we do not then all of the male elves in Rivendell will be affected by it and the place torn apart!” Gandalf said with much haste while the scramble for the dingle ball sent it bouncing out onto the balcony and over the railing.

Dingle…dingle…dingle…dingle it called out merrily as it hit whatever lay under the balcony.

Then I gasped out in horror as all six elves eagerly followed it!

To Be Continued...
Last edited by Dínelleth on Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harthad

Re: The Dingle Ball Incident ~ A Two Part Inklet

Post by Harthad » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:10 am

Great, Dinelleth! :rofl:
"How do you pick up the threads of an old life. . . how do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand, there is no going back." ~ Frodo, TROTK
Click here to visit my site!

Eruvanne

Post by Eruvanne » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:43 pm

Oh, Din, what will happen next?! It's such a funny picture to see all those noble elves going off in pursuit of such a little thing as a dingle ball. *Eruvanne sits restlessly waiting for the next installment* Anyone else want to join me at Din's storytime?
And the fellowship, though forever bound by friendship and love, was ended.

Dínelleth

Post by Dínelleth » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:49 am

Harthad ~ Thank you! :-)

Eruvanne ~ If I tell you now it will spoil it for you! :wink: :lol:

Ringwraith-Wife

Post by Ringwraith-Wife » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:15 pm

Hmmm. What WAS laying under that balcony, anyway? :huh: ... :???:

Silivren Ithildin
Location: in Rivendell under a waterfall, also known as Mid-MO

Post by Silivren Ithildin » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:40 pm

Boy, Pip better hope someone catches it before Rivendell is demolished. I will be most upset if they hurt my home!!!!
And Aragorn gave it a new name and called it Anduril, Flame of the West. FOTR

"Utúlie'n aurë! Auta i lómë!"
The Children of Húrin

Dínelleth

Post by Dínelleth » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:45 am

RWW ~ You'll see! :wink:

Sil ~ I will remind my Muse about that but she doesn't always listen to me when she's on a roll with her ideas.

Celedor

Post by Celedor » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:10 pm

I really liked this one!

Dínelleth

Post by Dínelleth » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:02 am

Thank you Celedor! :-)

Part 2 will be delayed a bit due to this pesky cold I've got. :sigh:

Harthad

Post by Harthad » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:43 pm

Darn that cold! Leave now, and never, come back!! I'm talking to the cold, not you, Din)
"How do you pick up the threads of an old life. . . how do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand, there is no going back." ~ Frodo, TROTK

Harthad

Post by Harthad » Tue May 18, 2010 12:23 pm

Din :poke: Has that cold gone away yet??

Dínelleth

Post by Dínelleth » Wed May 19, 2010 8:19 am

*giggles from the ticklish poke* Yes it has! I've been busy planting flowers. I will take up the quill on this soon.

Primula

Post by Primula » Wed May 19, 2010 3:13 pm

*comes in from watering plants with fish emulsion*
I relate to that excuse! Maybe when spring slows down a bit, eh? :flower:
*goes back out to trim back blown daffys*

Silivren Ithildin

Post by Silivren Ithildin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:30 pm

:poke: :poke: Din! Now that all your flowers have survived and all that is done, how about getting back on this story? Please!

Sil

The Children of Húrin

Silivren Ithildin

Post by Silivren Ithildin » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:32 am

:poke: :poke: Hey, Din!!! :poke: :poke: Hey, Din's Muse!!! :poke: :poke:

what's going on???? I know things have been crazy but I thought that had all settled down. Can we get back to the story?????? Please?????

Sil

The Children of Húrin