Domain renewals

Items of Importance from the other forums.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

daughter_of_kings

Domain renewals

Post by daughter_of_kings » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:24 pm

Hear ye, hear ye!

As you all know, the Wise and Wonderful Primula sponsored this forum for the next two years, which was a lovely and generous thing for her to do, and saved me from trolling for sponsorships... for a little while. Until now.

Now, the lotrfellowship domains (lotrfellowship.com, lotrfellowship.org, lotrfellowship.net) are up for renewal next month (that is, April, just in case you're reading this late). Prim and I have kicked around the idea of letting one, two or all of them go, as it's not likely that interest in all things LOTR will wax again, now that the movies have come and gone. Prim says the .com one is used more than the other two, so if we're only going to keep one, that one makes the most sense. I see us more as a .org sort of group... or is that .orc? :wink:

Anyway, now's the time for your input, and here's what I'm asking:

A) Let us know in the comments how you feel about keeping the lotrfellowship domains, and if not all of them, which ones. We'll take comments through the weekend and make a final decision next week.

B) If we elect to keep any or all of the domains, please throw some spare change in the hat.. that is, send it Prim's way. Renewal cost is $15/year for each domain. Any money that Prim gets will go toward renewing whatever domains we keep, so if she gets more than enough for this year, we'll renew for next year, too, and so forth.

Thank you for your contributions, both thought-wise and financial.
:D
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

frodosmiss

Domain renewals

Post by frodosmiss » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:37 pm

I think we should keep the .com one for sure. Let majority rule on the others. I would be happy to toss some $$ Prim's way to keep the pathways to our cozy smial clear! :-)
..the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

AnnaEstel

Re: Domain renewals

Post by AnnaEstel » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:52 pm

DoK I'm with you about the .org option as well, and am also willing to toss I to the kitty.
Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:44 am

Seriously? Only 2 voters in 2 weeks? :?

Well, I said we'd make a decision this week, but then the RW kept me away all week, so I haven't chatted with Prim yet. But, seeing as there are two votes for .com and two votes for .org, and no votes for .net, I think we'll at least drop the .net domain for now.

So, if anyone else wants to put in their :twocents: , in either comment or monetary form, please feel free to chime in. We can still decide, going forward, if and which of the other two we want to keep. Even if you don't care, post a reply to that effect... we need some input, people!
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:27 am

I think that you have made the right decision. Sorry that I'm so late coming to the party.

Dr.G, the slow.
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

MiddleEarthMunchkin

Post by MiddleEarthMunchkin » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:58 pm

I feel kinda of dumb asking this, but those domain names link to this site?

ETA: so are people finding the site by searching for those?
Last edited by MiddleEarthMunchkin on Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Strange Elf

Post by Strange Elf » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:48 pm

I would stick with the .com addy. I only say that, as I have had noting to do with the other two.
There was also a Strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas,..... (FOTR, The council of Elrond)

Frodo Baggins

Post by Frodo Baggins » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:02 am

I'm with Strange Elf on this one. Sorry that I didn't get to this earlier, I wasn't online for a few days.
“I wish it need not have happened in my time,” said Frodo.
“So do I,” said Gandalf, “and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
~The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:15 pm

MiddleEarthMunchkin wrote:I feel kinda of dumb asking this, but those domain names link to this site?

ETA: so are people finding the site by searching for those?
Yes, as of now, if anyone searches or types in any of those URLs, they are redirected to http://www.lotrfanmb.com, which is the home page of this forum, the Scrapbook, and all the little extras of the Home that Prim Built.

Since I am a sloppy admin at best, I don't even know if we have anything like SiteMeter that would show what links people use to find our Fellowship, and I probably wouldn't be paying any attention if we did. :? :roll:

At least until recently, holding the domain names closest to our forum name also kept anyone else from registering them for, shall we say, less family-friendly sites. As time passes and the LOTR/Hobbit frenzy fades, that is less and less likely to be a problem for us.