Hunting for a new home for the Fellowship

Items of Importance from the other forums.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Strange Elf

Re: Hunting for a new home for the Fellowship

Post by Strange Elf » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:02 am

lindorie wrote:oops, sorry. check pm
I sent you a private message here on the forum. I didn't get one from you though.
There was also a Strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas,..... (FOTR, The council of Elrond)

Primula

Post by Primula » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:11 pm

Just adding my :twocents: - I do give my "vote" for Dreamwidth - it's very much like the boards we have right here, quite similar in how to post, reply, etc. but with additional options that you can use if you want to. It is ad-free and protects your privacy - been with them for years now and never had even one problem with spam.

It's the same basic platform as LiveJournal but has the advantage of not being owned and kept in Russia, so it is more stable and less cluttered than LJ. DWth is free, or you can upgrade for more icons if you like, and it is easy to set up a moderated community with whatever appearance you prefer. They have responsive techies if anyone has concerns.

Sorry, but I only keep a fb account so I can see pictures my kids sometimes put up, it's not even under my real name. I likely would not follow into The Land of the Facer.

The main concerns I see posted thus far are that it needs to be A) free of charge B) protecting of privacy including of real names and C) easy to use. Possibly I would add D) able to be moderated or at least to have membership filtering capability to prevent spam. I would suggest whatever is settled on should meet those basic criteria.

:carryme:
I've been slow to post these past few months, but you are welcome to look at my DWth as a small sample. I'll temporarily set it to allow replies from anyone at all.
Last edited by Primula on Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:27 am

Well, this sudden slew of replies from folks we haven't heard from in ages is AWESOME! :hi: :D Y'all need to come back more often!

Facebook seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it option. Quite a few of you have replied that FB is your first option, but other folks (here as well as in private conversations) have said that if the move is to FB, they will not follow. I am also in that camp, and when it was just me, I was willing to let the Fellowship go on to FB without me if that was what most people wanted. However, I'm not alone in that opinion any more, and I would hate to see us lose any of our precious Fellowship due to this choice. :?
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

AnnaEstel

Post by AnnaEstel » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:51 pm

I'm willing to learn something new to keep the family together, and will go wherever the consensus leads. A more board-like format would probably be nicer than Facebook, I just have no other knowledge or experience to offer.
Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!

FredO
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (looks like Minas Tirith on a good day)

Post by FredO » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:30 am

As always Prim provides a balanced, thoughtful opinion. After reading her comments I felt I had to weigh. I have been pretty inactive but check here daily. I understand the issues of keeping this format. I am not on Facebook...never will be. I took some time to digest my feelings. It’s been very nice seeing so many longtime members again. I would love to see this continue on the backup Yahoo group that was established for this board when it was down occasionally. If that cannot happen I feel I could figure out Dreamwidth. Regardless if this is our last hurrah or it continues in some fashion it’s been a great ride over the years and very nostalgic this past week.

Real Ringers Read The Book
:wink:

halavana

Post by halavana » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:31 pm

Am also on Dreamwidth. Would follow the Fellowship there.
a laital Eru
Mah nid sakhu!

Dínelleth

Post by Dínelleth » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:00 am

Dreamwidth for me. :-)

Varda

Post by Varda » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:39 pm

I haven't a baldy what a Dreamwidth is

FredO
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (looks like Minas Tirith on a good day)

Post by FredO » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:45 pm

Good to see you V! :-) 8)

I actually do not know it either but I did a quick look and found a link:
https://www.dreamwidth.org/

In their explanation of who they are I think it is possible to say that this is a site where you can share, with privacy, your artistic creations:
“Dreamwidth Studios is a home and a community for all kinds of creative folk. Share your writing, your artwork, or your innermost thoughts. Find others who create the sort of things you like to enjoy. Control who can see your creation with our fine-grained privacy controls. Participate in communities for any one of a hundred topics. We are an independent, Open Source, community-centric service, and we support diversity in all its forms. Come dream with us.“

Real Ringers Read The Book
:wink:

Varda

Post by Varda » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:21 pm

Thanks for the explanation and link Fredo - I understand the idea now. It is very orientated to the artists who use it. It looks great but it is would not be the platform FB is. But maybe we don't want to expand, just continue. I know all the bads and goods of FB - funny but horrific - but as a platform it is quite an animal. I don't like giving Mark more money, but just to compare, the Tolkien Society has found it a big adjunct to its society activities ( the Burning Palantir lol) I know I don't come here much but with the Hobbit trilogy I did not want to like I did with the original trilogy, which I loved. I think it is easier to look in on FB while you are posting pictures of the birthday party (or of your garden that some badger dug up) on FB. With the best will in the world it would take an effort to go to Dreamband or whatever. Just my opinion, and that was what was asked for.

MiddleEarthMunchkin

Post by MiddleEarthMunchkin » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:26 pm

Do we have an idea how long these boards will be up? I might try to save some favorite threads/PMs before they close.

Primula

Post by Primula » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:43 pm

No worries - we're all paid up for this year, and we could always keep on after that if it is needed.

Frodo Baggins

Post by Frodo Baggins » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:23 am

I'm familiar with Google+

Just sayin'
“I wish it need not have happened in my time,” said Frodo.
“So do I,” said Gandalf, “and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
~The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Linaewen
Site Admin

Post by Linaewen » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:11 pm

Primula wrote:No worries - we're all paid up for this year, and we could always keep on after that if it is needed.
Good to know it's not imminent! I, too, want to take some time and save some memories from this place.
"Have you ever been called Home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?...One day, our paths will lead us there." -- Boromir, Lord of Gondor

Strange Elf

Post by Strange Elf » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:27 am

MiddleEarthMunchkin wrote:Do we have an idea how long these boards will be up? I might try to save some favorite threads/PMs before they close.
How does one save a thread when it is several pages long?

Sorry, I'm not tech savy.
There was also a Strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas,..... (FOTR, The council of Elrond)