Dreamwidth - lotrfellowship info here

Items of Importance from the other forums.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Primula

Dreamwidth - lotrfellowship info here

Post by Primula » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:34 pm

:sparkle: Here it is - our new home is right over here... :sparkle: :grouphug:

:gandalf: http://lotrfellowship.dreamwidth.org

This is our new community there - it is set up so you have to join to post, and at the moment I'm the only "working mod" but I'll get y'all approved as quickly as I can. Basic DWth accounts are FREE, go to "create account". You can get a paid account for yourself if you would like to play with more icons. Here is their FAQ page.

Please be aware at this point the appearance, coloration, links and such may still change a bit; we will be tweaking as we are able, I'd like to find a way to keep us from having to scroll so much to see the stickies and below them for instance. We'll see how it goes! Thanks for your patience - we didn't want it to end up being past Christmas before it could be used just for the sake of aesthetics.

:tea: Bless Tinidril for her help!

Of course at the moment the halls echo a bit and there's not nearly enough clutter in the corners, but give us time and I'm sure that will right itself. As previously noted, these 'old' forums here will remain up and functional for the time being as well.

Also, "Eru Iluvatar" isn't a person, it is a god-mod account so even if we have people come and go, it can function as a generic admin. Eru will not speak to us much, but he is useful for creation. :wink: :flower:

If you have a name on DWth that is quite different from your handle here, please let me know who you are - there's a pm system there, either here or there is fine. Thank you!

ALSO - *blows tiny trumpet* Just so folks know, as DoK and Doc are needing a break, our own Strange Elf & Linaewen will be helping mod!
:car: It's a virtual road trip!
Last edited by Primula on Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Strange Elf

New Home - lotrfellowship info here

Post by Strange Elf » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:02 pm

I opened an account now you have to let me know how I can post to our new home.

I was able to keep my Strange Elf name, though it is now strange_elf.

Let me know how I join the actual LOTR page.

Thanks for all of your hard work.

SE
There was also a Strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas,..... (FOTR, The council of Elrond)

Primula

New Home - lotrfellowship info here

Post by Primula » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:56 pm

You (and Ashlyn, and Linaewen) are already approved, all you have to do it log in there there it is. :-)

It's standard bloggy stuff, much like here, with small clicky links to comment or reply to others at the bottom of a post, and a link up at the top to post to the community if you want to start a new comment.

Have fun!

Linaewen
Site Admin

Re: New Home - lotrfellowship info here

Post by Linaewen » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:08 pm

:hi:
"Have you ever been called Home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?...One day, our paths will lead us there." -- Boromir, Lord of Gondor

daisy gold

Post by daisy gold » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:20 am

Hello Primula and friends,

I got a lovely surprise when I popped in this morning to see how old friends were doing. We have a new home .
Over these past years I've only occasionally looked in. I have had so much sadness in Life to deal with that I sort of lost interest in the Hobbit etc. But now I miss the fun we had on these boards and on the previous ones. Such good times they were.
Many thanks to dear DoK for her sterling work here and to our dear mods. I will be delighted now to join you all in our new home.
love ,
Daisy Gold
He beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

daisy gold

Post by daisy gold » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:32 am

I have opened an account :-)

My name is daisy-gold like this.

What happens next I'm not so sure. How do I become a member of our new home? I am not so use to joining other boards. Help please. :grin:

Thanks Primula for giving us a new home. It's a lovely Christmas present. :tree:
He beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Primula

Post by Primula » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Hello dear (((daisy))) - I've sent you an invite for the community, you should be able to just click on the notification and in you go.
:flower:

Also, for you and everyone else as well: once you log in at Dreamwidth, at the top you can choose "settings" and then "organize" - this will give you lots of ways to set the colors and look of your own journal if you like. There are scads of free templates to play with.

Your "circle" is what they call all the people you follow, i.e. the ones that will show up on your "reading page." They said they did this because they didn't like it being called friends elsewhere when it may just be something of interest but not necessarily a friendship. Your circle can of course be entirely made up of friends. :wink:

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:48 pm

I asked to join...here's hoping that Mellon is the word, otherwise, Gimli's in the Dishwasher is my only other choice....
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

Linaewen
Site Admin

Post by Linaewen » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:03 pm

DoctorGamgee wrote:I asked to join...here's hoping that Mellon is the word, otherwise, Gimli's in the Dishwasher is my only other choice....
Speak "friend" and enter! You should be approved now! :D
"Have you ever been called Home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?...One day, our paths will lead us there." -- Boromir, Lord of Gondor

AnnaEstel

Post by AnnaEstel » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:52 pm

Membership request sent and account started. Here we go!
Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!

Dínelleth

Post by Dínelleth » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:13 pm

Membership request sent! I'm drabbling_din now! :lol:

Primula

Post by Primula » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:35 am

Posting here as well as there:

Hm. Not sure the stickied posts at the top for that community are working - it's keeping new posts from showing up in subscribers feeds and keeping them off the usually useful clickable post-history calendar in the side bar , meaning you have to remember to go to the actual main community and hunt under the stickies to see what's going on.

We may need to unsticky and just have a general scrolling community BUT we can use the tagging feature to be able to bring up anything relevant to any particular theme so that does even it out somewhat. Thoughts?

Linaewen
Site Admin

Post by Linaewen » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:56 pm

I think we might have to go that route. I do miss getting an email when there is a reply to a thread I'm following -- such as we get here -- and while I do try to go look at what conversation is happening, I sometimes forget. While it's nice to have the separate sections, tagging might be a good enough way to collect the posts that would normally be grouped in a section like The Red Book or The Pony.

Strange Elf

Post by Strange Elf » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:10 pm

I confess I am having trouble getting on with the new site. I hope we can make it work a little better.
There was also a Strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas,..... (FOTR, The council of Elrond)

Bregalad

Post by Bregalad » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:57 pm

I'm in the same boat, SE. Having some trouble figuring this out. I've been to the new site a few times, but am seeing very little. I'm on it now and all I see is 3 posts under the "Member Posts", but nothing under "Recent Entries" or "Archive". I just figured out, as I'm writing this, on how to get into a post and how to see comments to that post (basically, the string). My question is, if someone doesn't have a current post, how do you get to their journal to see older posts? Help!