Cast Commentary

An ongoing parody role-play of our favorite tale.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Linaewen, Moderators

Laiquendi

Re: ...never... ever... wear a red shirt!

Post by Laiquendi » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:09 am

I try my best :grin:
Don't blame me for the size of my ego, it's just proportionate to the size of my genius! :grin:

Ladyhawk Baggins

Post by Ladyhawk Baggins » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:48 pm

*snirkle* That was good.
I will take it. I will take it. I will take the Ring to Mordor, though I do not know the way. ~ Frodo Baggins

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:42 am

Well done indeed!
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:15 pm

It has been a while since we left off. I thought that the smell fo Mushrooms could entice Merry and Pippin, while repulsing Frodo (and thus Sam), separating the Hobbits nicely.

Any takers?

Dr.G

Primula

Post by Primula » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:32 pm

Well, we made it just about to the end of Fellowship... goodness that did a bit of doing, didn't it?

I have wondered if it would breathe new life in to open it up to the rest of the board - it needs to be "regulars" doing the parts, it seems - if it is folks who can only come by once a month, the whole thing sort of stops. :huh:

Linaewen
Site Admin

Post by Linaewen » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:55 pm

Just when I am starting to be a tiny bit more regular, my part is in limbo! Boromir ought to stay dead for awhile before I bring him back to haunt people -- and it's not quite time for Denethor or Faramir yet -- but maybe I can think up something for the interim.

*puts on her Gondorian thinking cap*

:idea:
"Have you ever been called Home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?...One day, our paths will lead us there." -- Boromir, Lord of Gondor

DoctorGamgee

Hope for the future . . .

Post by DoctorGamgee » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:21 pm

Lin: Gondorian Thinking Cap -- wouldn't that be a "Beanie?" :grin:

And yes, Prim, I think opening it up for other folks is a good idea. For reading if nothing else. And certainly some new creativity would be a good thing. Not that what we have is bad, but if we commit to getting TTT begun, we could then have both halves of the book being written simultaneously. Perhaps what should happen is that we should open it up and make it a yearly do. That way it doesn't stagnate, as it needs to be completed by the next year, when everyone can swap people and get a fresh perspective. Granted, some of what we have done is pretty funny, but I'll be that other folks would find it fun to do in a communal thing (as opposed to the spoof being written in The Red Book by one person -- we don't wish to step on toes). And I am woefully behind on my limerick version of books V and VI, so we are all a little busy. But if we are going to do this parody, I would like to get it going. And have everyone promise to drop out when they can't keep up, that way we don't have to wait years upon years for folks to post. A gentle prodding is fine (many have done that with me in the Image Captions game, which I always forget!), so an email to who's at bat, and if no post within 3 days, then it gets passed to someone else, and they can jump back in when they get time or someone else needs a break. I can't remember how many characters I have filled in for on small jaunts of insanity, so if folks are willing to jump around a bit, as opposed to being territorial, why not get it moving?

Dr.G

daughter_of_kings

Re: Hope for the future . . .

Post by daughter_of_kings » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:47 am

If I might suggest... what about having a principal and an "understudy" for each of the main characters. Then when the principal has to drop out for a while, they can just tell their understudy to take over until they get back. Similar to my stepping in for Avondster a while back, except that it would be set up before hand, so Prim wouldn't have to go hunting for extras every time someone has to take a leave of absence. It could be handled between each pair of people... maybe even to the extent that if the principal doesn't post within a week, the understudy steps in automatically. This would ensure continuity of character (as opposed to communal writing), while allowing more folks to participate and (hopefully) keeping up the tempo.

Just a thought. :twocents:
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

Ladyhawk Baggins

Post by Ladyhawk Baggins » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:17 am

I'm following Mr. Frodo's lead, where ever it takes us. :grin:
I will take it. I will take it. I will take the Ring to Mordor, though I do not know the way. ~ Frodo Baggins

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:29 pm

DoK: It is a great idea, and yet, here we are three months later when folks who could have said "I can't do this for about a month, can we find someone to fill in until Thanksgiving?" I agree that it would be a great solution, but we have folks who figure, "Hey, they won't miss me" and disappear. An understudy would put someone there to fill in, but how do we handle the return of the no-show star (as opposed to those kind folks who do as above and say "fill in until . . . "? Do they then become the understudy or do we find another understudy for the understudy?

Sorry, I really am not 'pooh-poohing' your suggestion. I am just a nudge who wonders about the logistics of things.

(((DoK)))

Dr.G

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:10 am

(((Dr.G))) Feel free to nudge all you want... that's how things get worked out.

I guess it was clearer in my own mind because I was thinking of my own experience filling in for Avondster. Prim asked me if I could do it... I agreed... carried on until Avondster came back. When she did, Prim let me know. Then Avondster and I PM'ed each other and agreed on when she would take Gimli back. My suggestion is that we keep it like that, only have backups in place before they're needed, to take the load off Prim. Something like this:

Say you're my understudy for Eowyn. If I know I'm going to be out, I PM you and you take over until I return. I PM you that I'm back. We decide when I take over again... for instance, if you have a specific scene going, you might want to finish it out before handing the reins back to me... or maybe you're not comfortable with Eowyn and want to hand her back ASAP. If I fail to post 2 weeks in a row without telling you, you take over automatically until I return. If I disappear 3 times without telling you, I get the mithril boot and you become the star for Eowyn. Unless you don't want it, in which case Prim can find another lead.

A similar suggestion would be to just have 2 partners for each character... then they could work out if they were going to be principal/backup or take alternate weeks or months, or whatever...

I admit that I'm opposed to communal writing, because I see 1) a loss of character continuity, as no 2 people write the same character the same way, and 2) a loss of plot continuity, as everyone would have different ideas for how a scene should go. I see chaos. And (as Firiel could tell you) I like organization and structure. But that's just me and my :twocents: . I am perfectly willing to bow to the wisdom of those who've been doing this much longer than me. :bow:
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:58 am

Actually, now that you have explained your full thougths on the matter, it makes very good sense. You have obviously thought about this and it makes good sense. I feel that two weeks is a good timeframe until we get fast paced action, and then, a two week reaction to Smeagol's being chained can get a bit long. Maybe a week? But it is a good plan, and now that it has been fleshed out in my mind, I think it is pretty good. It does, however, need to be adopted by all and not just have folks say "OK" but not really stick to it.

Dr.G

Linaewen
Site Admin

Post by Linaewen » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:17 am

I like DoK's idea as well, and for the same reasons. I think it would indeed get chaotic to just be open to all and sundry, and hamper those who have their characters down pretty well.

A week sounds worth a try. I know I was one of those who had to be nudged a few times, but things are better now, and my Gondorians are ready to jump in at any time. My Beanie thinking cap is still on and is producing some ideas, albeit vague at the moment.
"Have you ever been called Home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?...One day, our paths will lead us there." -- Boromir, Lord of Gondor

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:18 am

Just for clarifaction --

We weren't going to open it up as a free-for-all, where anyone could post as anyone. Rather, we are discussing opening up the forum to let others besides ourselves be able to see it, and if interest arises, begin others, or have new folks to fill in for the folks who haven't posted in a while. It was never going to be a free-for-all. That would not be fun.

Dr.G

Primula

Post by Primula » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:38 am

Free for alls turn into Goo-Rooms. :P I've been looking around at some other sites who have rpgs running, and in pretty much every case there is a person assigned as the manager of that tale who helps to keep it on track and tweaks the casting, etc. - a sort of benevolent dictator, in a way. This makes sense and seems to work, the result being we would probably have one or two people designated as managers for any role play started up (as there may be interest in a serious one, or a silmarillion one, or who knows...).