Faces to the Name - images okay

Items of Importance from the other forums.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Goldberry

Re: A pic of me...

Post by Goldberry » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:55 am

:D That's really beautiful, Lind - you look like you just walked out of a medieval picture or movie. Have you thought about having an artist paint it? You could get yourself "Mona Lisa'ed" in oil as a permanent record. :wink:

lindorie
Location: north central Texas, but my heart is in Minas Tirith

Post by lindorie » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:43 am

Thanks. This was really a fluke...to get me in a dress like this. The dressmaker had begun this dress for herself years ago and never finished it. I was having something else made and we played dress up with the stuff in the closet and when she had me put on the corset to see they weren't as uncomfortable as people say....and they aren't in a lot of ways, you just have to learn how to work with one...and then put the dress on over a different chemise...it was like.......WOW...who's that. At that time the dress had no sleeves and the underskirt was just a piece of gold fabric we pinned to the hoop. It was amazing enough that I was compelled to buy it and all the underpinnings I was going to need. The dressmaker is taller than I am and more buxom and it was clear that the dress would never fit her properly as it was too short and she would have overfilled the dress considerably. This is ok for tavern wenches, but no real self respecting lady would have topped over her bodice. I paid more for it than I have ever spent on a piece of clothing in my life...including two wedding gowns (albeit they were budget purchases)

This year I can't afford to do anything fancy. I am going to see if she can make me some more Tudorish sleeves...large bell type sleeves that fold back with a lining of 'fur' I will also trim the hem and front of the gown in 'fur' and see what else we can come up with to change the look of the dress a bit for 12th night. I need to start looking for fabric, either silk, or hit the fabric district and see if i can find a match to the dress fabric. unlikely, because it is several years old, but one never knows.

I am still considered lesser nobility in the SCA, having not ascended the awards structure very far, and this dress would have been considered way above my station if I had lived in the time period and followed the sumptuary laws. It sure is fun to dress up in it though, and I do feel very much a lady in it.

Goldberry

Post by Goldberry » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:08 pm

I can't imagine living in those days, Lind. No wonder why "Ladies" had to have maids dress them. And how did they... uh ...uh....well, I guess that's why somebody invented the chamber pot. :wink:

I guess I'll be daring and link a couple of pics. I don't have any recent ones, so these are from 1998-99. The first one is from the Netherlands, when I was visiting a flower parade:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/ ... enhof3.jpg

I was in the Army, in Kosovo (this picture taken right before a blizzard):
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/ ... Winter.jpg

Primula

Post by Primula » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:09 pm

Brrr... looks cold in that second one, but you also look pretty cheerful for a lady about to be frozen. :) I love your hair!

Saruman of Many Colours

Post by Saruman of Many Colours » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:56 pm

some of you met me at ELF, some haven't.

this was at planet hollywood, in front of a set piece from nightmare before christmas (tim burton is a god). enjoy....

I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil

idrial_of_lorien

Aaaaaaargh

Post by idrial_of_lorien » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:05 am

i dont know if that worked.... im useless with this stuff lol

ana here's one of Stevie took a few weeks ago in Cedar Point :)

:oops:

Tiger-lily

Re: Aaaaaaargh

Post by Tiger-lily » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:38 am

(((Idrial & Steven)))

You both look great!! We want to see pictures from America...we want proof you were really here!!! :mambo:
"T'was in the darkest depths of Mordor I met a girl so fair. But Gollum, and the evil one crept up and slipped away with her,her,her.....yeah!" :twisted:

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:56 am

Saruman of Many Colours: That seems to be a many-coloured and very elaborate tatoo peeking out from your right sleeve. If you don't mind my asking... what is the design?

Idrial: Stevie is too cute for words!
:cute:
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

Saruman of Many Colours

Post by Saruman of Many Colours » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:23 am

daughter_of_kings wrote:Saruman of Many Colours: That seems to be a many-coloured and very elaborate tatoo peeking out from your right sleeve. If you don't mind my asking... what is the design?

it's all incubus related, incubus being my favorite band. every album is referenced on me somewhere

the black and red circular one is a buddhist mantra for confidence and self respect, brandon (incubus vocals) has a similar tattoo. the fish is the picture on the CD of their album morning view", the tribal, is, well, just tribal, it was my second tattoo, don't much like tribal anymore, but i wanted something incubus related and the design allowed me to place the symbols inside it, the one in the middle is an atom of sorts (as depicted on the back of the "make yourself" album), the chinese symbols say "make yourself" (had i been a tolkien fan earlier it would've been in tengwar). the black and white tear drop shaped one is just a drawing brandon did that i really dig. the back ground is the cover of "science" including the yellow bar at the bottom which has "s.c.i.e.n.c.e." written in it in black. the comets are taken from "when incubus attacks volume 1", on either side of the "s.c.i.e.n.c.e." logo are mushrooms, representing the album "fungus amongus". and the star is from "enjoy incubus". an if you look at the 2nd part of the pick you can see a black flower on my chest which is from the "a crow left of the murder" album.

so, yeah, i REALLY like incubus. :D
I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil

Ladyhawk Baggins

Post by Ladyhawk Baggins » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:33 pm

:shock: WOW!! Lindorie, that is stunning!!! It is incredibly well done. :bow:
I will take it. I will take it. I will take the Ring to Mordor, though I do not know the way. ~ Frodo Baggins

hobbitgirly

Post by hobbitgirly » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:48 am

Ahhhhhh idrial steven looks so cute :swoon:
And driving at that age :shock: :wink:
(':music:')Lord of the rings

Suddenly I see......

gaeranna

Re: Faces to the Name - images okay

Post by gaeranna » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:32 pm

Well, here I am with my husband Gary at the LOTR exhibit in Boston last year. We had a great time.
http://kjga.zoto.com/img/1024x1280x1/89 ... 60b10-.jpg

I hope this link works. I'm new at setting up links. I recently joined a new photo storage and share site called Zoto. com. It's good.
Well, I'm back.

MithrandirCQ

Post by MithrandirCQ » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:29 pm

Yesss! You have riddlesss. Can you name the Ringersss? Name the all. The moderator knowssss. Yessss,ssshe doess, preciouosss. With these cold dark handssss, I image scansss for alll to seesss in Ringersss Land.Yessss! Golllum! Gollum!
elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

Calafalas

Post by Calafalas » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:58 pm

Wow! It's nice to see so many familiar faces and so many new faces. Here's a pix of the scurvy sea elf with Gandalf at Bilbo's B'Day Party 2004. Hugs, Cal
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4 ... QcOGzFs1aq

Holly Baggins

Post by Holly Baggins » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:30 pm

All right, this is me!
BTW, this is NOT my real hair. Really it is medium-long, straight, and brown. I found a website telling how to make Arwen's coronation crown, and I used that to make the crown, only I did mine in blue to match my dress (which I designed myself).

In case anyone is interested, here's the back of the crown.

Holly B.
Last edited by Holly Baggins on Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...in that light Frodo's face was fair of hue again, pale but beautiful with an elvish beauty, as of one who has long passed the shadows."