Two Blue Arrows

Original Tolkien-based writings of all kinds.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Dínelleth

Two Blue Arrows

Post by Dínelleth » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:40 pm

Two Blue Arrows

Have you ever wondered what the two missing blue wizards were up to while the denizens of Middle Earth dealt with Lord Sauron and his Ring? Suffice it to say they have been very busy and not in a good way.

Chapter 1 – Out of the Blue

I was carefully making my way over the icy ground between my backyard woodpile and me so I could gather some logs for my nightly fire when like a bolt out of the blue a similar colored arrow struck me in the chest.

Now the force behind it knocked my back off my feet and down onto the ground where I lay unmoving, staring up at the stars, and gasping like a fish out of water since the searing pain in my chest allowed for nothing else.

Then a tall figure hooded and cloaked in a darker blue stepped out from the trees behind the woodpile and approached me. Once it was alongside me it stopped and took out another arrow from its quiver on its back and notched it. After that, I felt as if the figure were relishing in the thought of killing me while it slowly aimed the deadly shaft between my eyes.

By this time, I was in full-blown panic mode since there was no way I could move to save myself. Nor did I have a clue as to why anyone would want to kill me like this in the first place, which only added another level to my distress.

Suddenly something caused the figure to turn its attention quickly to my right and then to run off back in the direction it had come.

Not long after that, I was surprised to see a sword carrying King Elessar running and sliding by along with several Rivendell archers.

A second surprise showed up in the presence of Lord Elrond and Legolas both of whom quickly knelt down on either side once they had reached me.

However, the surprises kept coming and the third one turned out to be the biggest of them all since for some unknown reason I could now “hear” and “feel” in my mind the whirlwind of thoughts and emotions in Legolas’ mind after my gaze met his.

Now this sent a jolt of amazement through me and I could only surmise he must have felt a similar thing coming from me judging from the same wide-eyed look of amazement on his face.

Unfortunately, it began to threaten my precarious hold on life when the connection between us strengthened to the point where his emotions and thoughts were like “invisible physical blows” to my mind, which left me unable to cope or to breathe. This in turn renewed my waning panic and intensified the pain.

As for Legolas, he now looked terrified by what was happening.

“Aragorn get Legolas away from here!” Lord Elrond urgently commanded after the man and Rivendell elves rejoined us. “They’ve bonded but neither can control it yet!”

Without hesitation, Aragorn managed to haul a slower to respond Legolas to his feet by one arm and to herd him back out of my line of sight. Instantly, the turmoil from him diminished enough for me to be able to breathe again.

However, the encounter had taken a toll on my precarious grip on consciousness and as everything faded to black, the last thing I heard was a still terrified Legolas crying out my name.

--------

Sometime later, the comforting sensations of surrounding warmth and softness of a bed under me began to penetrate my waking mind. Then I noticed that I could breathe pain free although I now had something wrapped snuggly around my chest, which kept me from breathing deeper than I normally, would.

When I weakly tried to feel with one hand what it was, someone stopped me by gently taking my hand in one of theirs. After that came the type of light squeezing usually associated with someone showing support before the other hand returned mine back to my side.

“I’m here and you should not touch your bandage,” I next heard Legolas’ tentative only thought in my mind while his worry filled emotions were nothing more than a faint background to it.

This caused me to open my eyes to confirm what I had heard was true and when I saw he was indeed standing next to my bed with my hand in his I slowly smile up at him.

“Mae govannen,” was the only thing that came to my mind to think back at him although I stumbled over the pronunciation since I was not fully awake yet.

“Is my presence in your mind causing you anymore pain?” he continued as if the fate of the world hinged on my answer.

“No.”

Now this had Legolas loudly sighing out in relief, which reminded me of a deflating balloon. Then he looked at Lord Elrond who I had somehow missed seeing while he stood at the foot of my bed.

“I’m no longer causing him pain and he needs to work on pronouncing mae govannen,” he said a hint of amusement now accompanying his smile of relief.

“What are you sensing from him?” Lord Elrond asked his tone much like a scholar seeking knowledge of the unknown for the first time.

“He’s weak and confused by everything that has happened so far but it’s like a faint background noise.”

“Adulas are you sensing Legolas in a similar way?” the venerable Lord of Rivendell next asked me.

“Yes I do. What is going on? How is that I can hear Legolas in my mind?” I asked while mustering my strength to continue speaking and that led me to feeling a sharp momentary twinge of pain in my chest, which made me wince.

Instantly Lord Elrond held up one hand to stop me from saying anything more and I sensed Legolas’ worry grow stronger.

“I nearly lost you once while removing the arrow so I don’t want you to do anything more than staying quiet and resting. I hope that that will prevent a second such occurrence. As for your bonding with Legolas, I believe the old saying from your time that goes, “What one doesn’t think of, the other will” best sums up its existence. It is also why you became a target of that arrow and something we were regrettably a step too slow to prevent.”

“You know full well that rescue would not have been needed if you had not placed your trust in the Lady Galadriel,” King Thranduil added while he joined the venerable Rivendell elf.

“We have no proof she had a hand in the attack!” Lord Elrond warned in a lower tone of voice as if to say “Not in front of Adulas now!”

“What more do you need to prove it then the two blue wizard’s assassin knowing exactly where and when to go after him?” King Thranduil continued in his usual calm fashion. “I have warned you repeatedly since we discovered this new blue threat that she cannot be trusted and that mirror of hers can do more than just see the past, present, and future.”

This caused Lord Elrond to give the King a “Have you gone mad?” look. However, the King ignored that while adding, “You have my word Adulas that you are perfectly safe in my halls. Some of us had more foresight to take the steps necessary to keep “prying mirrored eyes” from being able to see. Now I will leave you in my son and Lord Elrond’s care.”

After he had left, I got the strong impression from the deep scowl on Lord Elrond’s face that he was very close to face punching Mirkwood’s ruler.

Not daring to speak again, I gave Legolas a very confused look about what I had just heard.

“I’m just as confused about it all as you are,” he thought back in a commiserate fashion.

Suddenly King Thranduil reappeared next to Lord Elrond and said something in a very low and serious sounding voice in the dark haired elf’s ear that made him look back at the King in utter dismay. Then they both quickly left.

“I do not like the look of that,” Legolas said afterwards.

“Me neither,” I thought back.

daughter_of_kings

Two Blue Arrows

Post by daughter_of_kings » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:45 pm

Naughty Blue Wizards!

I'm sorry I missed this the first time around. But surely there must be more to the story than you have shared....
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.