Man From U.N.C.L.E: Climate of Negatives, Finished in a Tie

Non-canon tales & verse plus other friendly writings.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Lothithil

Man From U.N.C.L.E: Climate of Negatives, Finished in a Tie

Post by Lothithil » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:20 am

Note from Loth:
I'm having a lot of fun writing these impulsive littles stories that force themselves out of my brain while I'm writing my other fics.

Obsession can be such an interesting thing, no?
8)

Climate of Negatives: Instinct
a Man From UNCLE interlude

“It’s been a long day… Illya, would you care to join me at the Club for a drink?”

Napoleon Solo regretted the suggestion as soon as he had uttered it. The look Illya Kuryakin shot him was a breath’s short of scathing.

“Um, if you’re not, ah, otherwise engaged,” Solo added, after several awkward seconds of staring.

Kuryakin’s voice was as dry and cold as the Siberian tundra. “I am waiting for the punch line. You are joking, Napoleon—aren’t you?”

“Apparently.” Solo said mildly. Kuryakin held him for a few moments more before releasing him from his glare.

They were leaving UNCLE headquarters by the agent’s entrance. It had been a long day, but one of routine, with lots of tension—and paperwork—but no real excitement. There was a breathless quality of the evening, as if it had been too long before something when awry, and something could happen at any time. Both Solo and Kuryakin could feel it. It may have been time to go home—but not to abandon vigilance.

Solo leaned forward to allow the pretty young female agent to remove his badge, taking the opportunity to inhale the lovely fragrance of perfume daubed behind her delicate ear. Kuryakin plucked the badge off of his coat and dropped it carelessly on the desk, slipping out of the thick door as soon as it opened.

By the time Solo pushed aside the curtain to Del Flora’s changing room, the customer bell was shivering a last dying tone, the door already closed. Mr. Del Flora had retired for the day, but Napoleon knew the shop was always under surveillance. He saluted the two-way mirror, a motion that to a casual observer would appear to be nothing more than a vain man checking his reflection before stepping out on the town.

Solo had a rare uncommitted evening before him. Usually he would have an encounter planned with one or another lovely lady. Lacking his usual motivation, Solo found himself wondering idly where it was that Kuryakin went when he left the office for the day. Why had he been in such a hurry tonight, disdainful of Napoleon’s invitation?

As senior agent, Solo was familiar with the his fellow agent’s file, and so he knew everything there was to know about the young Russian—except what he did in his personal time, and where he did it.

Solo assumed the Gypsy blood in his friend’s veins coupled with his Soviet heritage was what made the man so impenetrably secretive. It was impossible to guess what motivated him. Possession and material objects hold little value over him, though Solo could see that Kuryakin respected and obviously enjoyed American life and its amenities. But other than the compact blue Jaguar that Illya drove with passion, and the neat black suits and crisp white shirts he wore, he seemed to move through his world touching and affecting as little as possible. He didn’t even have a permanent address listed on his file.

Curiosity piqued, Solo felt an overwhelming desire to follow Kuryakin, to learn something of the mystery. But even if he had wanted to act on such an impulse, it seemed to be too late. The night street had swallowed up all traces of his blond counterpart. Napoleon was alone in a street empty except for the ubiquitous detritus of paper and smoke that were mandatory in a New York street.

Lifting his face to the sullen sky, he smiled suddenly. He felt himself observed, and knew instantly—in that way that he knew but couldn’t explain—that Kuryakin was somewhere nearby.

No matter which way Solo walked, idly down one street and turning at random, he felt the presence move with him, giving to his approach like shadows retreating from the glow of a candle. How he knew it was his friend and not some threatening lurker, he couldn’t have put into words. He just knew.

Napoleon whistled a tune and made his way briskly through the pools of light splashed along the streets, heading for Cappio’s Club. He knew when he got there that he’d find a martini—very cold and very, very dry with a twist of lemon—already ordered and waiting for him, sitting next to a cup of black coffee in the most remote corner of the bar.

He hurried so that Illya’s coffee wouldn’t get cold.

~~~fin?
Last edited by Lothithil on Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:03 am, edited 7 times in total.

daughter_of_kings

Man From U.N.C.L.E: Climate of Negatives

Post by daughter_of_kings » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:09 pm

Ah... mystery... it's so enticing. Particularly when it wears Illya's face. :eyebrow: And you write it well, Loth.
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

Strange Elf

Man From U.N.C.L.E: Climate of Negatives

Post by Strange Elf » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:22 pm

Wonderful!

Keep on writing Loth.

I must confess to you though, I actually dreamed of the Man from U.N.C.L.E. last night, so your little stories are certainly having an effect.
There was also a Strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas,..... (FOTR, The council of Elrond)

Lothithil

Climate of Negatives: Ambushed

Post by Lothithil » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:44 pm

Note from Loth:
These vignettes are not consecutive, unless otherwise stated in the titles.

Climate of Negatives: Ambushed

Napoleon’s breath caught in his throat when he saw the figure sprawled on the flagstones. Gripping his UNCLE Special in his fist, he ran at a crouch to his partner’s side. Bullets chewed at the parapet inches above their head; flecks of concrete and hot metal shards fell all around them. He ducked, closing his eyes and waiting for a break in the deadly rain.

“Illya?” He gripped the man’s shoulder, checking for life.

Illya groaned in response. Napoleon released him quickly; his hand came away wet with blood. “Oh.” Napoleon peeled back the lapel of Illya’s coat, surveying the damage with a grave face. “Right.”

Illya opened his eyes, blinked. “Ugh—” He looked up at Napoleon’s tight expression. “I think they were waiting for us, Napoleon…” he said through gritted teeth. His left hand groped for the gun he had dropped. He sighed as his fingers closing comfortably around the grip.

Napoleon peeked over the barrier between them and the Thrush agents. A pause in the machine gun fire meant they were reloading—or possibly moving in.

“Time to go… come on, Illya.”

“Are you sure I’m all right?” Illya peered down with interest at the growing stain on his coat.

“Of course you’re all right. You’re always all right.” Slipping his arm under his friend’s back, he helped him lurch to his feet.

“Good,” Illya slurred, “I was worried there for a second…”

Now standing, Illya could see their enemies, no longer hiding in their cowardly ambush. He leaned on Napoleon and lifting his good arm, began squeezing off shots. Two of the Thrush agents jerked and fell. The last one dove to the ground and scrambled away through the underbrush.

“You blockhead,” Illya mumbled, letting his arm drop, “you bungled my shot. One got away…” The gun clattered to the ground as Illya sagged in Napoleon’s arms, succumbing at last to his injuries.

“Next time, Illya,” Napoleon said, devoutly hoping that there would be one.

Lothithil

Climate of Negatives: Expendable

Post by Lothithil » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:46 pm

Climate of Negatives: Expendable

The wind was a flood as savage and deadly as the waters of the swollen river far below. They were forced to crouch to avoid being plucked from the arched walkway by the howling storm.

The bad guy had the gun and the girl—and no way to escape. Solo blocked his way ahead. “There’s no way out of here, Von Trapp! Let the girl go.”

Von Trapp turned as if to retreat, but stopped when he saw that Kuryakin had appeared behind him, closing the bracket. The wind tore at his blond cap of hair as the young Russian shouted to make himself heard over the cry of the wind, “You are surrounded! I recommend you avail yourself of the opportunity to surrender, before our sniper opens fire.”

The villain wasn’t going to give up easily, however. “You wouldn’t dare!" he snarled. "Not while I have a hostage!” His eyes danced between the two men. The girl struggled; he adjusted his grip on her, wrapping one arm around shoulders and under her chin, holding the barrel of his gun near her ear. “Stay back! If you come closer, I shall shoot her!”

Pushed beyond the limits of her fear, the girl dropped her chin and sank her teeth into Von Trapp’s forearm. The man howled and jerked back, releasing her. Napoleon surged in and caught her, pulling her down onto the bridge to keep them both from falling.

The wind whipped up with fresh fury, and Von Trapp managed to maintain his balance, but it cost him his gun. It clattered off the stone and spun away to be swallowed by the swirling brown water.

Kuryakin fought for balance as well, wind-milling his arms to keep himself from being kited off his feet. Von Trapp saw this and lunged toward him, intending to shove the agent out of the way—permanently.

But he’d underestimated the tough little Russian. Flexible as a feline, Kuryakin shifted his weight and dropped to one knee—and Von Trapp had to reverse his momentum to keep from hurling himself into the river. He clung to Kuryakin, and they wrestled on the span.

Kuryakin knew what was coming next, but instead of releasing Von Trapp and diving for cover, he held his prey upright and prayed that the sniper’s bullets would kill them both quickly. He didn’t relish drowning in the murky water.

“Fire! Fire now! I can’t hold him forever!”

A gun cracked once, twice, and a third time. Locked in a pugilistic embrace, both men jerked, marionettes with tangled strings.

Napoleon looked up in horror as the two men swayed and began to fall. “Illya—!” He watched until his friend disappeared beneath the boiling water. The girl sobbed against his chest. He closed his eyes and dropped his face into the nest of her hair.
Last edited by Lothithil on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lothithil

Climate of Negatives: Expendable, pt II

Post by Lothithil » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:47 pm

Perversely, the storm lessened as the two survivors huddled on the narrow span, the wind trickling down to a pensive murmur. The river, swollen from the dam that had been destroyed by Thrush, churned and gurgled below.

Solo knew he needed to get the girl to solid ground, but now that the worst danger had passed, he took a moment to stand and search downstream. If he could see some sign of his friend, he might at least be able to recover his body for a decent burial—

“Excuse me.” The sound of Kuryakin’s voice made Solo jump half out of his skin.

Looking straight down, he saw his friend clinging impossibly to the invisible strand of molecular rope that was looped around the span just below his feet. Somehow, the resourceful man had managed to anchor himself before making the mad plunge into the river. Solo felt a huge grin split his face.

“Don’t just stand there… give me a hand!” Clinging to the wire-thin rope, looking like a drowned kitten, Kuryakin struggled to pull his lean body out of the ruthless tug of the current. “This water is very cold!”

“You crafty little spider!” Solo leaned down and grasped the wire, ignoring the way the rope cut his hands as he reeled his friend upward. “I thought you were a goner! Did you get perforated at all?”

“No.” When Kuryakin was close enough, he reached up and grasped the edge of the stone, pulled himself up onto the span. He lay there for a long moment, gasping and shivering. His hands were bloody, his smile white against the streaks of mud that ran out of his hair and down his face. “I want medal for this one. For both of us.”

“You can have mine,” Solo said, panting and shaking his own stinging hands. “I’ll settle for a cold martini and a warm debutante.”

“A medal for our UNCLE marksman, then… and a case of vodka.”

“He’s earned it! Let’s get off of this thing—”

Solo held out his hand, and Kuryakin clasped it. If they hadn’t been blood-brothers before that moment… they were for ever thereafter.

Strange Elf

Post by Strange Elf » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:43 am

Keep going Loth. What with these stories and my weekly (Thursdays) dose of U.N.C.L.E. DVD's, I'm' in heaven.
There was also a Strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas,..... (FOTR, The council of Elrond)

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:55 pm

Loth, you are my weekly dose of U.N.C.L.E., so yes, keep going!
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

Lothithil

Climate of Negatives: Itsy Bitsy Spy-der

Post by Lothithil » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:53 pm

Climate of Negatives
Itsy Bitsy Spy-der

Inside the warmth of the chateau, the men talked through the night, alternating grandiosities with social diablerie amid sips of brandy and a haze of blue cigar smoke. So confident there were in the security of their meeting-place that they had not even taken the measure of securing the window. After all, they were on the third storey of this elegant pile—who but crickets and moonlight would overhear?

Illya’s nose twitched as the hue of cigar fumes breathed over him in the darkness. Every word spoken within was overheard by this wily man, as well as recorded via the nifty gadget that he wore on his wrist. He had no fear of being spotted by the pacing guards below; columns of climbing plants created the perfect concealment, and the rope he’d lowered himself was invisible as a spider’s web. He peered through the flowers, their colors misplaced in the dark but noisy with scent, occasionally snapping a picture with the tiny infrared camera mounted in his belt buckle.

Everything was going extremely well, the fools within waxing their way through their dastardly plans, when suddenly the pen in Illya’s pocket began to beep. A soft sound, but one that did not go with darkness and the fragrance of bougainvillea. He silenced the sound swiftly, but not before the damage was done. One of the heavies who had been standing near the window came wandering over to investigate. Illya let himself drop on his rope several feet below the sill, trusting the darkness to baffle the snooping Thrush agent.

“Illya? What’s going on?”

Blast you, Napoleon! Illya tried to keep even his thoughts in a whisper as he burrowed deeper in the foliage, Not now! He muffled the communicator between his shoulder and chin while clinging with gloved hands to the fragile trellis, trusting his weight to the strength of the rope that anchored him to the roof of the chateau. Craning his neck, he looked upward to see if the curious man had tasted enough darkness.

He could see him leaning out, the window swung wide open on its hinges. The thrumming cord of his rope hummed mere centimeters from the edge of the frame. Illya stared with a kind of detached pessimism, waiting for the window to hit the rope and give the game away.

The Thrush man sniffed the air, sneezed, then pulled the window closed. Illya sighed and buried his face in the invisible flowers, savoring the taste of pollen.

His pocket whispered to him. Sighing with exasperation, he twisted the cap and muttered, "Silence is the element in which great things fashion themselves together."

"What?"

"Shut. Up. Napoleon."

"Oh! Right--"

Hand over hand, Illya drew himself back to his place. The night was full of secrets, and he was the silent listener.

Fíriel

Post by Fíriel » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:15 pm

Fantabulous! I, too, am an Illya fan, and am very much enjoying your inklings. :D
"Gondor! Gondor, between the mountains and the sea!
West Wind blew there; the light upon the Silver Tree...."

Strange Elf

Post by Strange Elf » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:28 am

A little Elvish rope for our Illya, maybe.

Lothithil

Climate of Negatives: Lovelocked

Post by Lothithil » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:54 am

Climate of Negatives
Lovelocked

The tumblers purred as Illya turned the last dial. He could hear the tell-tale sounds that a vault makes just before she surrenders her secrets. It brought a small smile to his lips.

The iron box was meant to look strong, forbidding, and impregnable. Illya was not intimidated. Getting into the Swiss bank undetected had been the challenging part. Now all the security and safeguards served the young Russian rather than the criminals had filled the vault, insuring his privacy as he seduced the lock and swung open the heavy door.

A long flat box inside, minute stars studding finest velvet lining. Illya’s eyes shone with the light they captured and magnified. He smoothed his hair back from his forehead before reaching past the wealth of minerals, deeper inside the dark interior. His smile became triumphant, and he withdrew the narrow packet of papers, bound with stained leather. This was what he’d come for.

Another man might just take the thing, let its absence serve as a message of the thief’s skill. Such an idea did not enter Illya’s disciplined mind. He needed no acclamations; his quiet, private triumphs meant far more to him than any man’s opinion. He worked swiftly to photograph the contents of the packet, carefully turning the pages and leaving no prints, smudges, or creases.

Soon the packet was back in the box with a million dollars worth of diamonds as a paperweight, and Illya was closing the door and spinning the lock. He turned the dials back to the places they were before he touched them. Before he left, he knelt and ran his gloved hand over the smooth metal of the vault, one last time.

Let Napoleon have his conquests; Illya’s lovers kept their secrets longer.

Lothithil

Climate of Negatives: Skeleton Key

Post by Lothithil » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:55 am

Climate of Negatives
Skeleton Key

The window wasn’t latched, sparing him the necessity of breaking the glass. Even such a simple was locking mechanism was, for the moment, beyond Illya’s ability—he could barely move his right hand. Tucking his gun gingerly under his arm, he pushed on the pane. It slid upward with an indignant squeak.

It opened on a cluttered loft, stuffy and airless but considerably warmer than out-of-doors; He groped through the darkness and invisible obstacles until he was against a wall. Slowly he slid to the floor, clearing cobwebs from the naked wooden lattice. Safe from detection for at least a while, he finally permitted himself to just sit and listen and maybe catch his breath.

He rested his right hand on one knee, too tired for the moment to do more than hope that the tendons hadn’t been severed. In his left hand he kept a grip on his pistol. A few moments later Illya’s head fell back against the wall and the gun struck the wooden floor with a thump. He heard neither sound.

She heard noises upstairs, where the Master of the house never permitted anyone to go—not even to clean. But he wasn’t home tonight, out celebrating after another one of his Hunts, and the other servants were all asleep. She took a small flashlight and crept up the stairs. Her feet left clear prints on the dusty steps.

The door was locked, but she had a key. She had found it one day when she had been locked in the root cellar, doing penance for breaking a dish. It was odd and terribly old, a special key that opened all the old-fashioned doors in the house. She wore it on a ribbon around her neck, the only secret she ever had to keep. She drew it out and fitted it in the old lock. It turned with a scraping sound.

As soon as she opened the door, she knew something was wrong. A breeze bullied past her, laden with dust and the scent of mothballs and neglect. She stepped inside and closed the door quickly. Panning the flash around, she spotted the open window. She went to close it, but when she touched the pane she drew her hand back in alarm. Her fingers had found something sticky and wet. In the weak light of her flash, it looked more black than red.

The thick dust was disturbed. She followed the marks the beam, eventually pinning the intruder where he slumped against the wall. His head was canted to one side, his eyes closed. The pale skin on his face, particularly his neck, reflected the light, and his hair curled over and mostly hid one bloody ear. His clothes were dark and close-fitting, torn off one shoulder and stained. In one hand he held a pistol; it rested on the floor beside his splayed legs. He had no shoes on.

“Been in the wars, huh?” she murmured softly. “Poor thing.”

If only this hadn’t been the first wounded bird she’d found after one of the Master’s hunts. She knelt down to place her hand over his heart, feeling for movement of breath.

His eyes opened at her touch, the hand holding the gun twitched. So pale blue they were nearly gray, his eyes. She felt herself measured by that cool regard. He made a small sound in his throat.

She smiled a little. This one might make it.

“I’ll be back. Wait here… and don’t make any more noise.” She smoothed back his hair, brushing away cobwebs. “You should be safe here for a while. At least until the Master returns.”

His eyes gleamed. Something between fear and fury ignited there, and she began to wonder who this man might be. She began to hope that, in him, the Master may have met his match.

Perhaps, when he returned, it would be the Master who was no longer safe.

Strange Elf

Climate of Negatives: Skeleton Key

Post by Strange Elf » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:45 am

Wonderful!

Today I get to watch The Man from U.N.C.L.E. The Fifteen Years Later Affair.

Lothithil

Re: Climate of Negatives: Skeleton Key

Post by Lothithil » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:07 am

Strange Elf wrote:
Today I get to watch The Man from U.N.C.L.E. The Fifteen Years Later Affair.
Yay! I loved that movie... Illya is even more adorable 15 years later, and just as inscrutable and mysterious! 8)

*glee*