The Cook's Corner! (well it is "The Kitchen") .

Casual chatty conversing and games.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Primula

Re: Chocolate-Covered Ice Cream Crunch Cake

Post by Primula » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:41 am

I want to eat that picture. :drool:

Hey, guess what? We have someone who keeps a food blog making and taking pictures of the recipes on the Scrapbook!

http://midearthfoodie.wordpress.com/

I wonder if she's found the page that's just Jello recipes yet? :lol:

Primula

Post by Primula » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:46 pm

And hey Yar! I think I found a site for you -
The Art of Manliness - Mastering Man Food: How to Cook Bacon
:yum: :pirate:

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:57 am

Primula wrote:And hey Yar! I think I found a site for you -
The Art of Manliness - Mastering Man Food: How to Cook Bacon
:yum: :pirate:
Did you see the bacon strip pancakes!!!!! :shock: :eyepopping: :up: :faint:

I've got to get me some of those!!!
Purveyor of ancient songs

JimboBaggins

Post by JimboBaggins » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:24 am

Mmmmmbacon :drool: :yum:
There is going to be a bacon tasting session at the New Season's Market in Happy Valley (Clackamas, Oregon) this coming Saturday Oct 2nd. A Balrog couldn't stop me from being there.

They had a tomato tasting back in August that we went to in order to pick out which ones to make our hot salsa for the Oregon State Fair.
It was our first time entering a competition although I've been making my salsa every year for at least 15 years now. I placed 3rd in Pico de Gallo and Susan came in 4th in Traditional Salsa. No ribbon for 4th but we felt it was pretty darn good to do this well first time out. Next year we'll be ready for them.
Our tomato's in Oregon are just now ripening so I had to use the organic store bought for the August competition. Purple Cherokee Heirloom's were the base for mine. Now I have bowls full of our own on my counter at home. I'm almost salsa'd out but there's a few more batches to be made. My co-workers are consuming most of it and I love knowing it makes people happy.

I see a BLT in my immediate future.

JB
"But I wish Bilbo could have seen Treebeard: how we shall manage to describe him to the old hobbit, if ever we get back, I can't think."

Ladyhawk Baggins

Post by Ladyhawk Baggins » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:50 am

What yummy pages, Prim! Thanks for posting them, I think, now I'm hungry, and I only just finished lunch. Does not bode well, but it did make me smile!
I will take it. I will take it. I will take the Ring to Mordor, though I do not know the way. ~ Frodo Baggins

Primula

bacon bacon tomato bacon

Post by Primula » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:14 pm

I know what you mean, Jimbo - I'd nearly given up on my tomatoes and now they're finally filling up my little bowl in the kitchen every morning - at last. The 'chocolate cherry' ones were something I discovered last year and are now a definite annual event as long as I can grow any tomatoes at all, they're amazing. I get spoiled playing with these amazing fresh varieties and then don't want to bother eating plain old red tomatoes anymore, hah.

Go you on your placing in the contest!! Knock 'em out!

mousechief

Re: The Cook's Corner! (well it is "The Kitchen")

Post by mousechief » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:26 pm

Mini Peanut butter and chocolate cheesecakes

Note:
this recipe can be made with just sugar or a sugar/splenda mix, but don't make it just splenda, since it turns out weird. Also, light cream cheese and low fat peanut butter can be used too. So it's not as bad for you as it could be.

Preheat oven 450

Base
put half- 3/4 c peanuts in a food processor. Add 3/4 c flour and 1/3 c sugar/splenda mix, 1/4 c melted butter and a sploosh of vanilla.
Hit blend until peanuts are all chopped and it looks like wet sand.

Press mix into bottom of 12 sprayed silicone muffin cups

Filling
into now empty food processor, put 1/4 c sugar/splenda mix, 1 egg, sploosh vanilla, 8 oz package of cream cheese and a giant spoonful of peanut butter approx 1/3 c. Blend

scoop mix onto base

in microwave, heat about a tablespoon of nutella. drizzle on top of each mini torte and swirl in.

bake at 450 for 10 mins, reduce heat to 400 and bake 10 more. check and see if it's golden brown on top and cooked through. Let chill before eating because they are just best that way.

makes 12
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."-Walt Disney

TolmanJr

Lembas Bread

Post by TolmanJr » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:11 pm

In honor of the recently concluded "A Long Expected Party 2", I'd like to share a recipe that was given during a baking demonstration one afternoon at Shaker Village. I'd like to thank Phyllis Brown for her fine presentation and recipe (and the 'samples' were great too!).

One suggestion when making Lembas Bread: Be very gentle with the dough - after stirring in the milk and egg with a spoon, just bring it together with your hands. After you turn it out on a floured surface, again, use your hands to form it into a rectangle and gently pat it to about 1/2 inch thickness.

Lembas Bread

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup sold butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/8 cup milk, for brushing on dough

In a large bowl,combine flour, sugar,baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut butter in until mixture is crumbly. In a small bowl, beat milk and egg until combined. Stir into crumb mixture just until blended. Using your hands, gently mix well. Turn dough onto a floured surface. Gently form into a rectangle - about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into small squares (between 2 or 3 inches) with a small knife - if the knife sticks, rub with some flour. Make a shallow X cut on each piece with the knife.
Carefully using a turner, move the Lembas squares to a cookie sheet (dry, no spray needed). Lightly brush tops with reserved milk. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden grown.

You may add dried fruit to this recipe - about 1 cup maximun. Raisins, cranberries, apricots, and cherries are good choices. A little orang or lemon zest adds great flavor too! Enjoy!

I couldn't wait to try this when I got back home, so I picked up some dried cranberries when grocery shopping. I also added some orange zest.
They turned out great! Just remember Phyllis's advice: BE GENTLE!

Next time I'll try some apricots w/lemon zest.
Here is the recipie on her blog (with photos):
http://foodflowersherbsandlife.wordpres ... bas-bread/

Here is my version, served on some pottery purchased at the event, made by an enthusiastic participant, a young college student,
David (Pippin):
This day does not belong to one man but to all. Let us together rebuild this world,
That we may share in the days of peace.

AnnaEstel

Re: Lembas Bread

Post by AnnaEstel » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:21 pm

That really does look yummy. Love the plates too!
Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!

Ladyhawk Baggins

Re: Lembas Bread

Post by Ladyhawk Baggins » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:46 pm

Those look and sound delicious.
I will take it. I will take it. I will take the Ring to Mordor, though I do not know the way. ~ Frodo Baggins