May 24th is National Escargot Day - so a recipe!

Casual chatty conversing and games.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Tue May 19, 2015 7:10 pm

I know - snails. I've been a fan of these little woodsy morsels since I was first introduced to them in the 1960s by a cranky french lady known to me simply as Madame Maryse (sp?) while visiting with some of Father's friends just outside Paris. As an appetizer leading into a meal based around delicious Lyon Chicken, Marseille Shrimp, Toulouse Cassoulet, or even Bouillabaise, these really cannot be beat. I love the European tradition of serving multiple dishes one at a time over a 2-3 hour dinner where conversation between friends is the main reason for the get together. This dish is a perfect opening to a truly elegant evening.

Note: If you truly cannot get into the idea of eating snails, simply replace them with whole mushrooms sauteed in garlic butter.

Escargots à la Bourguignonne

Ingredients
  • 1 small garlic clove
  • 3/8 tsp table salt
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 tsp finely minced shallot
  • 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tbsp dry white wine
  • 12 to 16 snails* (from a 7- to 8-oz can) (or sauteed mushrooms)
  • About 2 cups kosher salt (for stabilizing snail shells while baking)
  • 12 to 16 sterilized escargot shells (I bought mine from Dean & Deluca)
  • Sliced French bread
Preparation
  1. Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F
  2. Using a heavy knife, mince and mash garlic to a paste with 1/8 teaspoon table salt
  3. Beat together butter, shallot, garlic paste, parsley, remaining 1/4 teaspoon table salt, and pepper in a small bowl with an electric mixer until combined well
  4. Beat in wine until combined well
  5. Divide half of garlic butter among snail shells
  6. Stuff 1 snail (or 1 mushroom) into each shell and top with remaining butter
  7. Spread kosher salt in a shallow baking dish and nestle shells, butter sides up, in salt
  8. Bake snails until butter is melted and sizzling, 4 to 6 minutes
  9. Serve immediately
Note: The escargot can be prepared but not baked up to 30 minutes ahead and kept at room temperature until ready to bake. If you don't have escargot serving dishes, serve the snails on a bed of kosher salt or rice to stabilize the shells.

Purveyor of ancient songs

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Tue May 19, 2015 8:38 pm

Snails... I don't know. Mushrooms, on the other hand... I can get behind that idea. :yum:
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

Primula

Post by Primula » Wed May 20, 2015 6:46 pm

You manage to make them look kind of nice - which is a challenge in this case. I've only had escargot once and it was rather like eating little rubber pencil erasers floating in garlic butter, so I can't say I ever bothered to try them again.... hm. I have to say I'm rather with DoK on this one, I'd probably go with the mushrooms.

yaralindi

Re: May 24th is National Escargot Day - so a recipe!

Post by yaralindi » Thu May 21, 2015 12:39 am

Primula wrote:You manage to make them look kind of nice - which is a challenge in this case. I've only had escargot once and it was rather like eating little rubber pencil erasers floating in garlic butter, so I can't say I ever bothered to try them again.... hm. I have to say I'm rather with DoK on this one, I'd probably go with the mushrooms.
Odd, I've heard that rubbery comment from multiple people. I can't say I've ever had rubbery escargot. I've tasted some fairly springy chicken and some very chewy beef, but snails and mussels when prepared properly should never be chewy; just like chicken or beef for that matter.

Most of the time I've found chewy meats are the result of overcooking. This is certainly true with chicken. Beef also suffers from how it was raised and slaughtered so even if you don't overcook the beef it can still turn out a bit tough. Free-range chicken and beef are my choice, but I'm not sure how you'd go about finding free-range snails instead of farmed ones. I was surprised to find that there are farms that specialize in free-range snails. Now that would be a rather boring job!

I would imagine overcooked mushrooms would suffer from being chewy if overcooked as well. I've definitely had chewy broccoli and that was from overcooking with entirely too much water.

For chicken and beef, I never use frozen meats and always cook them using the highest temperature possible. I pull them off the fire while there is still a bit of pink on the inside and let them sit for 4-6 minutes wrapped in aluminum foil. The residual heat will finish the cooking process and the meat will be juicy and tender. For grilling, I sear the outside quickly then set the meat well away from the coals to finish cooking slowly.

For mussels, prevention from overcooking is easy. As soon as the shell opens, the mussel is done and should immediately be removed from the steam. This isn't as easy for snails, but the same principle applies. As soon as the butter starts sizzling, the snails are done and should be removed from the heat. For sauteed mushrooms and other vegetables, the key is not to use too much liquid and to do them in small batches if you're doing a lot.

I've prepared this dish using shrimp as well, so perhaps that would do for you both as well. The garlic butter really makes this dish what it is so I would probably still enjoy it if the snails were a bit rubbery. That would depend on the wine, of course, a good escargot with bad wine would be a crime punishable by the Hague, I believe.

Primula

Post by Primula » Mon May 25, 2015 8:23 am

I wonder if it would help if you marinated the escargot ahead to tenderize? Or (their being so small) would that simply make...er... snail mush?

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Mon May 25, 2015 9:09 am

Primula wrote:I wonder if it would help if you marinated the escargot ahead to tenderize? Or (their being so small) would that simply make...er... snail mush?
You most certainly can. There are a number of escargot recipes that call for a marinade. My favorite is chicken broth, wine, and shallot warmed to a simmer then cooled to room temperature. Drop in the snails for 2-3 hours, stirring every once in a while.