Rings of Power Series 1 reviews

On-topic discussion of Tolkien's works and world.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

daisy gold

Rings of Power Series 1 reviews

Post by daisy gold » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:03 am

Spoilers

Just a few thoughts.
I have seen episodes 1 to 5 and I enjoyed them. :-)
Though not as much as I did when I first saw FoTR and fell in love with Tolkien’s work. But with each episode of Rings of Power my enjoyment grows. Five episodes in and I am still unsure what the overall story is and where it’s going. It’s like a quiz game ...” Where is Sauron”. Is it him or him or her? Boring!
My main expectations were mostly visual - and I feel they've met and exceeded them thus far. It is a beautifully made fantasy. Numenor looks wonderful, especially at night and Khazad-dûm is brilliant and gorgeous glimpses of New Zealand (I would like to see more landscapes.).

What I really liked:
• The Elrond/Durin relationship.
• Dwarven culture ... Disa and Durin are a charming couple.
• The mystery of The Stranger. If not Gandalf then another wizard... I hope.
• Females of interest; There are many to choose from. Princess Disa, Nori, Galadriel in action is notable, are tops.
• Visuals are stunning......the most gorgeous landscape ..... set designs are excellent....... Numenor looks stunning.
• Love the Harfoots.... they charm.
• The fact that the Elves look like real people and not supermodels. Beautiful, but in a believable way. I don’t mind their short hair.
• The view of Valinor from the boat... elves singing... the silver curtain/ skies opening to welcome the elves. So spiritual.
• The orcs, their look, characterization and culture
• Males of interest; Elrond, Arondir, Durin, Elendil
• I've always pictured elves as light and quick (and that doesn't have to mean shield-surfing like Legolas.) The elves in RoP fit my mental image more closely. I

I Didn’t Like:
• When Galadriel jumped off boat in the middle of the sea and seems to swim a marathon.
• I wonder why the evil man, who apparently knew Theo stole the blade, didn't just steal it back and give it to the orcs in episode 4
• I think the fate of the entire elven race depending on the acquisition of huge amounts of mithril (due to the light of the silmaril?) was ludicrous.
I also don't know why the female elves in Lindon are completely veiled....
• The music is good but can be overpowering and few themes that jump out to me. I still prefer the motifs we heard from Howard Shore whose music themes I can immediately recognise as The Shire or Rohan etc.

I think I would need to watch these shows again as they have some much to offer.......
I wonder if they will be released on DVD?

Would love to hear other folk's views.
He beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.