Dr. Who

On-topic discussion of other works and interests.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

tookfullofit

Dr. Who

Post by tookfullofit » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:39 am

The old brit cult classic is back......The tardis and everything.........yeah the daleks were back exterminate exterminate! I dont understand why they got rid of the new DR. so fast though.......any other fans?
its only trouble if ya get caught at it

Laiquendi

Re: Dr. Who

Post by Laiquendi » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:02 am

Ahhh.. Americans, so deprived of true Sci-Fi. :lala:

Christopher Eccleston quit because apparently he feared being typecast. However, I actually prefer David Tennant as the new 10th Doctor because he brings so much more to the role.
Don't blame me for the size of my ego, it's just proportionate to the size of my genius! :grin:

Starpaul20

Post by Starpaul20 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:46 pm

Oh, I like it alot. :grin:
Ford: Don't worry, I trust them to the end of the Earth.
Arthur: And how long is that?
Ford: About 12 minutes.
-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Primula

Post by Primula » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:31 pm

I love the "old Who" though I am unfamiliar with the new - my favorite Doctor is Tom Baker still, none of the others quite unseated him and his scarf, though the others had fine moments also. :D

My father-in-law is a dyed-in-the-wool Whovian - I almost got him some Dalek salt-n-pepper shakers this past Christmas.

Traevynn
Location: wandering the woods of Ithilien (somewhere near Seattle)

Post by Traevynn » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:19 pm

"Dr. Who?"
Now where did I put my Tardis key...? :hi:
I do not believe this darkness will endure.
--Faramir

tookfullofit

Post by tookfullofit » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:54 pm

a whovian?..........I LIKE IT!! :yay:

the next season hasn't started here yet....the last episode was when doc morphed....but Im waiting.........I know rose goes later also...been to the who website
its only trouble if ya get caught at it

Primula

Post by Primula » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:29 pm

We found several old episodes from earlier Doctors on youtube, in little bits (such as the Androids of Tara, lol!) - by watching lots of the bits in succession you can make your way through an entire plot-line, which is good fun.

Wish the dvd sets would have more in them and be cheaper somehow... in the meantime, Patrick Troughton, Tom Baker and other old faves get at least a little more romping time this way.

DutchDiamont

Post by DutchDiamont » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:09 pm

I never knew what Dr. Who? was, until Avondster commanded that I had to sit on the sofa and watch the entire first season of the 9th doctor. and now, I'm fan!! Yeah Avondster!

Lithilien Quicksilver

Post by Lithilien Quicksilver » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:39 pm

Primula wrote:I love the "old Who" though I am unfamiliar with the new - my favorite Doctor is Tom Baker still, none of the others quite unseated him and his scarf, though the others had fine moments also. :D

My father-in-law is a dyed-in-the-wool Whovian - I almost got him some Dalek salt-n-pepper shakers this past Christmas.
Hear, hear! Love love love Tom Baker! He and K-9 will never be replaced in my heart.

Haven't had a chance to see the new Who, however. I do hear good things about him.
White shores are calling... You and I will meet again.

Evelyn

Post by Evelyn » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:12 pm

I finally got around to watching some Patrick Troughton episodes recently. He's now beaten the 4th and 5th Doctors (Who tied) for first place favorite. :D Image

He's rather Bilbo-like, isn't he? Anyway, he has the best companion IMO (although I also liked Turlough and Sarah Jane...and Rose Tyler was awesome). Three cheers for Jamie McCrimmon! :-) Very handy to have him around in a pinch.

Also did some reading and so forth. As it turns out, Jon Pertwee was partially responsible for "reverse the polarity" becoming an in-joke of geek culture.
Last edited by Evelyn on Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
All that glitters has a high refractive index.

tisiphonie

Post by tisiphonie » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:05 am

so the new series started last saturday.....what did everyone think?! im just so glad to get my weekly david tennant fix back :P

Primula

Post by Primula » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:41 am

Haven't seen the new one yet, I'm still working my way through whatever I can find of Troughton and Pertwee - and finding I am liking both of them very, very much! I love Bessie (Pertwee's marvelous yellow car), how all the alien animals that they meet love him and follow him around - and the ad-lib humor of Troughton is such fun.

Seeing as I'm only on Docs #2 and #3, I think I have a long ways to go! (though I intend to skip #6 - never did like him or his companion, except for the one episode with Troughton making a guest appearance).

tisiphonie

Post by tisiphonie » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:52 am

interesting 'claim to fame' trivia...i went to school with the son of the 8th doctor, Paul McGann (also in the brilliant 'Withnail and I') !!
not much of a claim. but the only one ive got!

Evelyn

Post by Evelyn » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Whoooo! I loved the most recent ep, "Partners in Crime". It's gonna be fun having Catherine Tate playing the new companion. :haha: :eh:

And lookie! I made a TARDIS emoticon!

Image :grin:
All that glitters has a high refractive index.

Primula

Post by Primula » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:54 pm

I love it! All it needs to do now is blink...and fade away... :D