Dr. Who

On-topic discussion of other works and interests.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Primula

Re: Dr. Who

Post by Primula » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:10 am

This has not been a good year for Whodom... first we lost Nicholas Courtney (the Brigadier) and now we've lost Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah-Jane Smith).
:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13137674

I didn't even know she was ill - she was only 63 and still had her own series running, so it's a bit of a shock and very sad.

No more, please!

Harthad

Post by Harthad » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:22 am

I heard about this, too. :( It's really sad and shocking like you said, Prim.
"How do you pick up the threads of an old life. . . how do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand, there is no going back." ~ Frodo, TROTK
Click here to visit my site!

Primula

Post by Primula » Thu May 26, 2011 6:44 am

For those who have so recently passed on, Babelcolour has created a couple of tributes well worth watching (kleenex warning if you were someone who cared about both the characters and those who portrayed them though) -

My Immortal Brigadier (for Nick Courtney):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXEphaqrtYQ

Tears for Sarah-Jane (for Lis Sladen):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX5P8UyxA-I

onónë

Post by onónë » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:03 pm

Forgive me if this has been mentioned already (I didn't read through the ENTIRE thread...) but I've just recently discovered the amazingness that is the soundtracks! I just have the series 3 one right now... but Oh. My. Goodness! Looks like I'm going to be finding out what else Murray Gold has done. :music: I do love a good soundtrack!

(Oh... and I know I'm a bit behind the times... but David Tennant is fairly amazing himself. He's great as Hamlet, too!)

Harthad

Post by Harthad » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:21 pm

Oooh, yes!! I love the soundtracks too!! I have Series 2-5 on my iPod. And they are awesome!! What's your favorite track from Series 3?
"How do you pick up the threads of an old life. . . how do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand, there is no going back." ~ Frodo, TROTK

onónë

Post by onónë » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:55 pm

I really like the Runaway Bride... but the one that I can't get out of my head is the Stowaway. :music: What about you? What's your favorite?

Harthad

Post by Harthad » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:38 am

I like Martha's Theme, The Doctor Forever and This is Galifrey. In my opinion, I think the best parts of the soundtracks are the choral parts. :)

New Series Trailer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/videos/p00jb05r

Excited? Scared? Worried? Ahhhhhh!

Primula

Post by Primula » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:24 pm

The new music is nice, though sometimes I kind of miss the cheesy synthesizers and such from the old when dealing with cheesy monsters.

I can't think of a favorite, though I sure know the worst! You can't get lower than "The Silurians" - the unfortunate Third Doctor has this excellent episode nearly rendered unwatchable by anyone with ears as what sounds like a preschool band with woodblocks and kazoos carry on a haphazard 'scoring'. Please, please - someone re-score it someday...

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:12 pm

Ye flipping TARDIS!! Moffat is determined to ruin the show. That's the only reason he'd choose another horrible story by Toby Whithouse. The God Complex was predictable, slow, ridiculous in its premise, and all around dull. Even Karen Gillan couldn't pull this stinker out of the doldrums. I think she knew it too. Her acting was boring. She didn't have her heart in it. Even Gaven Fuller couldn't find anything nice to say about this episode and he's almost always effluvient in praising any Doctor Who episode. LINK

::SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS::

Perhaps Karen was just sad because she knew she was getting left behind at the end of the episode. Which brings us back to Moffat. What kind of director dumps the only actor holding the show together? Which leads to Closing Time an episode from Gareth Roberts. If I were Karen I wouldn't be sad. Being left out of Closing Time was a blessing in disguise. Why Roberts chose to ruin one of the great Doctor Who villains is beyond me. If a baby crying could stop Cybermen, I think someone would have noticed by now.

I thought this season of Doctor Who couldn't get any worse than the last. Moffat is working really hard at proving me wrong in so many ways.
Purveyor of ancient songs

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:27 pm

Thanks to a random stop in an recent evening of channel surfing, my hubby has turned into a Whovian, and he's dragging me along for the ride.

So far, I think it's kind of interesting, but apparently (Yaralindi) that's only because I don't know any better. :wink:

I think I heard somewhere that the Doctor can only have eleven (or was it thirteen?) lives/regenerations. So is Matt Smith going to be the last Doctor? It certainly seems like they're leading up to the Doctor's death.
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

suzie-sheelf

Post by suzie-sheelf » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:47 pm

My son loves this Doctor, but alas my husband wont let him watch it. Recons it isn't a show for a 4 year old. My husband has nightmares, my son doesn't.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

Primula

Post by Primula » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:16 pm

*puts on Whovian Geek hat*

I think it was during Four's era that the somewhat randomly assigned "13 lives" thing showed up, probably in The Deadly Assassin, which is an excellent episode, btw, should you get a chance at seeing it. Seeing as even according to that reference, it was an artificially imposed restriction by the Time Lords, and in the current 'canon' Gallifrey is either gone or at least locked away in a separate time-stream, it would seem easy to simply ignore the 13-life limit and go as long as the show has any following at all.

8)

Harthad

Post by Harthad » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:14 pm

I heard that Steven Moffat was going to invent a reason for the Doctor to be "immortal" (having more regenerations, at least), and that a Time Lord only has 12 lives. But that's a fact that could be disputed.

And, for what it's worth, I like how the show is going. I know that the younger Whovian community is very enthusiastic about the show in general. I've sort of jumped on that bandwagon. And maybe the plots are caphooey, but I like the show. And, in my opinion, that's the thing--we like the show, and everything about it. That's the magic of it, that's it's so timeless that it can keep on changing and receive new popularity, or new fans, but still be essentially the same show at heart.

Sorry if that was confusing. :?

Primula

Post by Primula » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:51 am

Suzie, I have to agree with your hubby that some of the Nu-Who is really too graphic and intense for a small child...which is really sad, considering Dr. Who was originally meant to BE a children's show that would teach a little history on the side as we followed a grandfatherly mad scientist around Time.

Old Who, however, would be (mostly) acceptable for a child - there are rare moments where it may be too intense for a tot's imagination, or perhaps a little too gooey (Five's era had a strange fascination with things bubbling or oozing green or pink goo for instance) but the overall is wonderfully larded with enough Cheeze to make it easier to deal with the special effects and just enjoy the story.

Had fun the other day when I had onone and Gimli's Sister here to help with Starflower's party - they are recent Whovians and taking them downstairs to behold my bookcase containing every episode from Drs. One to Seven was fun. Open to borrowing, of course!

Harthad

Post by Harthad » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:54 am

Has anyone heard the announcement for the new companion? And has anyone seen the Christmas special, The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe?