Dr. Who

On-topic discussion of other works and interests.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

yaralindi

Re: Dr. Who

Post by yaralindi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:53 pm

Actors Tom Baker, Peter Davison and Paul McGann hold some of the new Doctor Who stamps released by the Royal Mail in the UK

I want the stamps! Tom Baker is looking a bit frail, though.
Purveyor of ancient songs

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Sat May 04, 2013 7:36 pm

Matt Smith Leaving - HOORAY!

I might actually be able to watch the show again without cringing.

My vote would be Karen Gillan to be the next Doctor, but that might be a bit awkward. It does need to be female though. The strangeness would lead to quite a number of stories. Imagine a "Four Doctors" story with the three male Doctors trying to get their heads around the concept of a female doctor. Eccleston could be horrified. Tennant could be overjoyed. Smith could be his usual bland, don't care self.

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Sun May 05, 2013 5:33 am

Gee, Yar... a person could get the idea that you don't think much of the 11th Doctor. :grin:

As a newbie to the Who-verse, I've only ever really seen Matt Smith in the role. Oh, I've caught a couple of reruns here and there, and the specials with the first 4 Doctors, but the only story arcs I've seen are with Matt Smith. I like his Doctor, but hubby and I both agree that this latest season isn't as interesting. I was really looking forward to Clara as a companion, but it's fizzled a bit. If it keeps going as is, I won't be sad to see him go, or her, either.
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Sun May 05, 2013 6:06 am

daughter_of_kings wrote:Gee, Yar... a person could get the idea that you don't think much of the 11th Doctor. :grin:
Oh, I have nothing at all against the 11th Doctor - just Matt Smith (who can't act), Steven Moffat (who is trying to destroy the show, I think), several of the directors of the past 4 seasons, and some of the writers who have turned a civilized gentleman from a peaceful, stodgy, civilized world into a prancing clown from a mean, spiteful, crazy world. Other than that, the last 4 seasons have been just fine.

AnnaEstel

Post by AnnaEstel » Mon May 06, 2013 12:55 pm

I definitely DO NOT like Mat Smith as the Doctor. Tennant was my Doctor. I've only watched Mat this long for the companions (loved Amy and Rory), but I can't seem to get into Clara tho I had high hopes. In fact I'm like, 3 weeks behind. Can't drum up enough interest to catch up. But Mat is leaving? Yay, good news!!
Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!

Fíriel

Post by Fíriel » Mon May 06, 2013 4:00 pm

I very much liked Clara as the Souffle Girl, but have been sadly disappointed in her since. She is arrogant, and is mostly played for female appeal. I would like to think this is going to be addressed, since the Tardis appeared to her as herself, and gave the jibe about it being the person she esteemed most. But yes, the current season leaves much to be desired.

Next episode is written by Neil Gaiman, though, so all may not be in vain!
"Gondor! Gondor, between the mountains and the sea!
West Wind blew there; the light upon the Silver Tree...."

True-Hearted Easterling

Post by True-Hearted Easterling » Mon May 13, 2013 7:00 pm

I liked Matt Smith fine with Amy and Rory. He and Clara have definitely not found their chemistry. I liked her as soufflé girl too.

Please, please, please not Benedict Cumberbatch as the 12th doctor. I know he is wildly popular, but he is like fingernails on a blackboard for me.

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:00 pm

I just heard an intriguing rumor about the 12th Doctor. It seems Richard Armitage is being considered for the role.

Thoughts on Thorin as the next Doctor Who?

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:33 pm

Time Cloak

I'm not even going to try and understand the physics behind this thing. Father would have but it's a bit beyond me. Maybe Rosie could understand it. She and Father used to talk about these sorts of things all the time. Speeding up and slowing down light sounds a bit science-fiction-y to me, but it seems these scientists have done it.

I wonder if Doctor Who has a Time Cloak? It does sound like a great title for a Doctor Who episode, though.

The Time Cloak (weird music plays....)

Icarus

Post by Icarus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:29 am

I just think it's time for Jean Claude Van Damme (aka Time Cop) to come in and take care of this whole unauthorized time travel bit. 8)

I think I noticed a DeLorean up on blocks behind his house in that movie... <hehe>
:lol:
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." – Thomas Jefferson

Primula

Post by Primula » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:36 pm

The time cloak thing was fascinating - and strangely understandable. I rather like the matter of fact way they go about it, right down to apparently considering the small matter of an invisibility cloak to be old hat. That is SO last century... whatever century that was...

I expect the Doctor would not only like to obtain a Time Cloak, he would have a small wardrobe of them in every colour along with matching bow ties.

tinidril

Post by tinidril » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:29 pm

:lol: @ Prim

But the Doctor has already used this, it's the TARDIS "invisibility" mode which doesn't bent light, it puts the TARDIS a second or so out of sync with the resident time. :D
You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to. ~Bilbo
I'm on Facebook ~ The-tinidril on deviantART.com

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:56 pm

Supposedly, the 12th Doctor will be revealed in a live broadcast on BBC this Sunday, 4 Aug. If the rumors circulating are true, he will be played by the actor Peter Capaldi.

For those of you familiar with Torchwood, Peter played John Frobisher in the Children of Earth episodes. I've also seen him in a number of films and quite a number of TV series and specials. He's quite an accomplished actor. I'm hoping this is true.

Now, if Steven Moffat would just retire taking the batch of horrid writers he installed with him, we might actually get The Doctor back on track.

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:23 am

Well, for any who get the opportunity, the BBC will air a special tonight to launch the 12th Doctor. They're pulling out all the stops and quite a number of Who celebrities will be in attendance. I wish I could see it for no other reason than to see some old friends. I know it will be on YouTube tomorrow, but that is not quite the same, is it?

Blurb from BBC:

Anyone shouting, ‘Is there a Doctor in the house?’ during tonight’s Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor won’t be disappointed…

Peter Davison (the Fifth Doctor) will be there in person and Matt Smith (the current Doctor) and Colin Baker (the Sixth Doctor) will also be contributing.

The marvellous Bernard Cribbins (Wilfred Mott) will be there in person and there’ll be contributions from former companions including Anneke Wills (Polly), Katy Manning (Jo Grant), Janet Fielding (Tegan) and Bonnie Langford (Mel). Writer and actor Mark Gatiss also features in the show by way of a specially recorded video.

Celebrity fans in the studio include Rufus Hound, Liza Tarbuck and from Outnumbered, Daniel Roche. There’ll also be video contributions from Professor Robert Winston, Jo Whiley, Bruno Tonioli and following his appearance in The Power of Three, Professor Brian Cox.

And, of course, the next Doctor will be there…

Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor is hosted by Zoe Ball and begins on BBC One tonight at 7pm.

AnnaEstel

Post by AnnaEstel » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:37 am

You got it right about Peter Yar! I hope he proves a good choice.
Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!