Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightening Thief

On-topic discussion of other works and interests.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

True-Hearted Easterling

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightening Thief

Post by True-Hearted Easterling » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:47 am

So, who else enjoyed PJATO:TLT? Sean Bean makes one fine Zeus!

Harthad

Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightening Thief

Post by Harthad » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:12 pm

Oh yes, I saw it, I really liked it, it was good but I thought that it deviated from the book alot. Sean Bean was a good Zeus.
"How do you pick up the threads of an old life. . . how do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand, there is no going back." ~ Frodo, TROTK
Click here to visit my site!

True-Hearted Easterling

Post by True-Hearted Easterling » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:48 am

It did deviate from the book, but I enjoyed the humor, and I'm actually glad they made the kids older.

Harthad

Post by Harthad » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:05 am

Oh, really? Because I don't know how they're going to work it out when they get to The Last Olympian cause of the prophecy about Percy and his 16th birthday.
"How do you pick up the threads of an old life. . . how do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand, there is no going back." ~ Frodo, TROTK

Strange Elf

Post by Strange Elf » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:37 am

Hubby went to see this and thouroughly enjoyed himself; said he's going to get it on DVD.

Great to see you here, True :hi:
There was also a Strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas,..... (FOTR, The council of Elrond)

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:46 pm

I have not read the book, and haven't seen the movie yet... but I'm looking forward to watching Sean Bean. :D
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

MiddleEarthMunchkin

Post by MiddleEarthMunchkin » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:01 pm

I saw it today and I enjoyed quite a bit. I have read all the novels, but it's been several months since I re-read Lightning Thief, so the changes weren't too jarring. Although I am curious how they would deal with changes in future films (is this movie making enough to warrant sequels?) like the lack of Kronos (kind of like Harry Potter w/o Voldemort), and of course the prophecy. I missed Ares, too. I think that was my favorite part in the book - I liked how Riordan writes the gods. You get the sense that they are very powerful if they wanted to be, but limited in their actions too. The changes in this first movie make it very difficult for future writers; they might have to change the future books even further. (The gods not being allowed to visit their children? Luke hating Hermes - I don't think he did as much in the movie.) I suppose Kronos could be brought in in a second film ... and Luke would have to be there, too.

At the beginning, when Sean Bean/Zeus says to Poseidon, "What do you see?" and they were looking at the stormy skyline I had to bite my tongue from wanting to shout out his lines from the Council of Elrond about Mordor. :lol:

Harthad

Post by Harthad » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:11 am

Yes, I really agree with you. My brother who is seven thought it should be rated 'R' because it was scary. I thought it wasn't scary at all.

Rohirrim Eored

Post by Rohirrim Eored » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:24 am

I read the first 4 books and I liked them. I need to run out to the library and pick up the last one. One of these days I'll get to see the movie. I'm sure on DVD, because I don't want to take the kids to the theatre if the movie is too much for them to handle. At home, I can turn it off or at least turn the volume down. I definitely want to see this movie eventually.

True-Hearted Easterling

Post by True-Hearted Easterling » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:54 am

Harthad wrote:Oh, really? Because I don't know how they're going to work it out when they get to The Last Olympian cause of the prophecy about Percy and his 16th birthday.
I don"t know, I guess they"ll just shift the age up. Although I love the Harry Potter movies, the kids were just so bad in some scenes in the first two movies.

True-Hearted Easterling

Post by True-Hearted Easterling » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:55 am

Strange Elf wrote:
Great to see you here, True :hi:
:hi: back!