Harry Dresden - The Dresden Files

On-topic discussion of other works and interests.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

JimboBaggins

Harry Dresden - The Dresden Files

Post by JimboBaggins » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:20 pm

I was turned on to Jim Butcher's Dresden Files by a friend and find them quite entertaining.
Read the first 2 books in the past 2 weeks recovering from surgery and they helped pass the time. Easy reading with a head full of codeine.
Like Sharpe's Rifles, it's a little predictible knowing the hero will always survive for the next sequel.
I like the fact that no one is safe from being exterminated by the forces of good and evil. Book 2 he offed a couple of main cop characters and all but one bad guy.
Harry is a fast thinker and can take a punch (like TV they always retain their teeth) and can deal out some heavy wizardry when needed, and able too.
Waiting for 3rd installment from the library. Hooked me.
"But I wish Bilbo could have seen Treebeard: how we shall manage to describe him to the old hobbit, if ever we get back, I can't think."

Rohirrim Eored

Re: Harry Dresden - The Dresden Files

Post by Rohirrim Eored » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:37 am

I read the first book of the series and liked it. My local library doesn't carry them. I'll eventually start reading the series again. Too much real life gets in the way for reading as much as I'd like to.

Eruvanne

Post by Eruvanne » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:03 pm

I've never actually read the books but I have watched all the episode they made for tv. They were pretty good. How do they compare to the books?
And the fellowship, though forever bound by friendship and love, was ended.

JimboBaggins

Post by JimboBaggins » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:06 am

Eruvanne,
SPOILER ALERTS INCLUDED...
I just finished watching the first 4 episodes (I didn't know there was a TV show until last week!) and as hard as they try, the show is nowhere as good as the books. Too many differences, that to me, make a difference. Murphy is completely different :curtsey: , the book version being a bada** :x . Harry's apartment in the book is as much a character as anything but in the TV show it's a completely different set-up. On the show Harry uses a drumstick for a wand :gandalf: and a hockey stick for a staff. Please :banghead: . His staff and blasting rod are the powers that subdue the bad guys, along with spells, amulets, rings, charms, potions and a wizard energy that he seems to be able to conjure up in times of dire need. In the third book, Grave Peril, the fire at Bianca's is devastating. :twisted: Gave me chills as he described it coming out of him. And Bob is a whole different take. As a spirit in the skull :zombie: in the books, the actor on TV tries but it's just to cheesy. I have the first season on DVD from the library and will continue to watch since the rest of cable TV is a wastland this time of year (the rest too?!) and maybe it improves with time. The books are great and #4 is due in from said library any day now. :yum: :read: :up: :up:
JB
"But I wish Bilbo could have seen Treebeard: how we shall manage to describe him to the old hobbit, if ever we get back, I can't think."

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:36 pm

I saw part of one of the TV episodes a while back and thought it looked kind of interesting. I was thrilled to find out that there are books... those are usually so much better than the TV shows (unless there's a drool-worthy actor). :wink: I haven't gotten my hands on any of the books yet (and have no time to read right now, even if I did), but I'm looking forward to them... more so after seeing your descriptions, Jimbo.

By the way, Jimbo, I didn't know you had surgery. I hope that it went well and am praying for a swift and complete recovery.
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

modelnut

Post by modelnut » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:28 pm

I have all the Dresden Files except for the latest hardbacks. (Now that I have a family I can't just drop $25 on a book.) But the series is very good! I very much recommend it.

One note of warning though. The series is very sequential like LOTR. Every new book builds on what happened before. Anyone keeping up will know that something BIG is brewing. But I (for one) don't know what. There is something more to Harry than meets the eye and I don't think he knows it.

- Leelan
"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred"
- Henry Cabot Henhaus III 1967