LORE OF THE RING Round 74 - And the Winner is...

It's Tolkien's world, we just play with it.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

daughter_of_kings

LORE OF THE RING Round 74 - And the Winner is...

Post by daughter_of_kings » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:20 am

WELCOME one and all to Round 74 of the LORE OF THE RING contest!

Being that March is the last month of the quarter, it is decreed by general consensus and the Middle Earth Scribe that this shall be an EASY round. Being that there has been an uptick in discussion about the much-anticipated Hobbit movies, it is decreed by me, your not-so-humble Loremaster, that this shall be a HOBBIT round.

Those of you who have played before are already familiar with the rules of the game. However, whereas where there’s life there’s hope, and whereas so long as there is life on these boards, I’ll keep hoping for some newcomers to take up the game, here are the simple rules of the game:

Image ANYONE can play. Just answer ANY of the questions below. Or all of them. Or none of them. As long as you send in an entry.

Image An entry is worth one point. Each correct answer is good for another point. Whomever gets the most points in a round receives fame, glory, and the honor of being the Loremaster for the next round. If you want more than fame, glory, and the honor of being Loremaster, you should know that each point also counts for one chance to win the GRAND PRIZE DRAWING at the end of June.

Image DO NOT post your answers on the board. That takes the fun out of it for everyone.

Image DO email them to the Middle Earth Scribe (middleearthscribe@gmail.com). Put “Contest Entry” on the subject line and your screen name in the email so that she awards your points to you and not to someone else at random.

Image DO number your answers so that the Middle Earth Scribe knows which questions they go with. She may be wise and powerful, but she isn’t very good at reading minds.

Image The questions (and therefore the answers) may come from any part of the BOOKS (The Hobbit as well as the LOTR trilogy, including introductory material, appendices, maps, etc.). You may use other sources to help find the answers, but beware of the movies, for there are many incorrect answers lurking there. Also, as noted above, this is a HOBBIT round, which could be a valuable clue to finding the answers.

Image You have until midnight (your time) on Monday, March 21st to send in your entry. In the event of a tie, the Middle Earth Scribe will send out 5 tie-breaker questions by email on Wednesday, the 23rd. The winner and Loremaster for the next round will be announced here on Monday the 28th.

Image If you have any questions about the rules, the full official version may be found at the Scrapbook, or you may email questions to the Middle Earth Scribe.

This is a FILL-IN-THE-BLANK round. Since it is an easy round, here is a list of words that might come in handy:

Bag – Barrel – Brass – Comfort – Drowns – Garden – Green – Guest – Hill – Hobbit – Left – Number – Stinging – Visitors - Windows

Here are the Questions:

In a hole in the ground there lived a _(1)_.
It was a hobbit-hole, and that means __(2)__.
It had a perfectly round door, like a porthole, painted __(3)__…
… with a shiny yellow __(4)__ knob in the exact middle.
The door opened on to a… tunnel… provided with polished chairs, and lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats – the Hobbit was fond of __(5)__.
The best rooms were all on the __(6)__-hand side (going in)…
…for these were the only ones to have __(7)__, deep-set round __(7)__... (Hint: these are the same word.)
…looking over his __(8)__, and meadows beyond.

I come from under the _(9)__, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.
I am the clue-finder, the web-cutter, the __(10)__ fly.
I was chosen for the lucky __(11)__.
I am he that buries his friends alive, and __(12)__ them and draws them alive again from the water.
I came from the end of a __(13)__ but no __(13)__ went over me. (Hint: these are the same word.)
I am the friend of bears and the __(14)__ of eagles.
I am Ringwinner and Luckwearer; and I am __(15)__-rider.
Last edited by daughter_of_kings on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

AnnaEstel

Re: LORE OF THE RING Round 72 - easy Hobbit round

Post by AnnaEstel » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:12 pm

Cute round DoK!! Well done.
Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:58 pm

Ah, but it won't be "well done" unless somebody actually "does" it.
*hint, hint, nudge, nudge* :wink:
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

suzie-sheelf

Post by suzie-sheelf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:31 pm

Jeepers glad I saw your entry for hangman, forgot the date, and would have missed this round.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:07 pm

I am surprised that you didn't give the Right Answers in your list, DoK... :roll:

In a hole in the ground there lived a mushroom.
It was a hobbit-hole, and that means mushrooms...didn't we just cover this?.
It had a perfectly round door, like a porthole, painted With a Gilligan's Island Fresco … with a shiny yellow Galosha-shaped knob in the exact middle.
The door opened on to a… tunnel… provided with polished chairs, and lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats – the Hobbit was fond of Habidashers.
The best rooms were all on the Back-hand side (going in)…
…for these were the only ones to have Terraced-Jacuzzis_, deep-set round terraced-jacuzzis (Hint: these are the same word.)
…looking over his Veranda, and meadows beyond.

I come from under the Stairs, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.
I am the clue-finder, the web-cutter, the Human fly.
I was chosen for the lucky Rabbit's-foot-in-my-pocket!
I am he that buries his friends alive, and Rescues them and draws them alive again from the water.
I came from the end of a Meal but no Meal went over me. (Hint: these are the same word.)
I am the friend of bears and the Snack of eagles.
I am Ringwinner and Luckwearer; and I am Cool-rider.

But, if you insist we use YOUR answers...then i will submit them soon.

Dr.G
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:52 am

Dr.G, I might have relented and let you use your own words, if only you hadn't made reference to Grease 2. :lala:

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:43 pm

daughter_of_kings wrote:Dr.G, I might have relented and let you use your own words, if only you hadn't made reference to Grease 2. :lala:
I KNEW you would like that one!!!! LOL! :grin:
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

faramirgirl

Post by faramirgirl » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:46 pm

Well give it a try and sent in the answer. Glad that you give us the words, my books are still packed. I will need to unpack them if I play some more.
Proud grandma to Nova Holbrook and Kiara
Foster. and Aura Holbrook

suzie-sheelf

Post by suzie-sheelf » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:11 pm

okay sent my answers in.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:08 am

Dr.G: Thanks to you, I had that song stuck in my head all day yesterday. :groan:

Faramirgirl: I'm glad you decided to join us. Yes, do unpack your books and play more often.

Suzie: Now I'm glad that I used the Hobbit for both games... would have been disappointed if you missed this round.

Ladyhawk Baggins

Post by Ladyhawk Baggins » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:40 am

A bit of fun! Now, if I'll only remember to actually send the answers in this time! :roll:
I will take it. I will take it. I will take the Ring to Mordor, though I do not know the way. ~ Frodo Baggins

faramirgirl

Post by faramirgirl » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:59 pm

daughter_of_kings wrote:Dr.G: Thanks to you, I had that song stuck in my head all day yesterday. :groan:

Faramirgirl: I'm glad you decided to join us. Yes, do unpack your books and play more often.

Suzie: Now I'm glad that I used the Hobbit for both games... would have been disappointed if you missed this round.
Ok I have unpacked my books.
Proud grandma to Nova Holbrook and Kiara
Foster. and Aura Holbrook

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:20 pm

OK, everyone... last chance to get your entries in before the round expires at Midnight, your time, on Monday!

Take a chance, make a guess if you have to... you can't win if you don't play. :D

frodosmiss

Post by frodosmiss » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:39 am

It's been a long time coming, but I'm IN!!! :-)
..the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

daughter_of_kings

Re: LORE OF THE RING Round 72 - And the Winner is...

Post by daughter_of_kings » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:37 am

Wow! We had six... yes, six... players this round, which has to be a new record (for this year, anyway)! And two of them were new! Now that's worth celebrating all by itself. :bunny: :dance: :bunny:

But only one could be the winner, and in due course the winner emerged. Your Loremaster for the next round (which begins next week, by the way) is:

:stars: :stars: Tinidril! :stars: :stars:

Congratulations, Tinidril. May you wear the crown well! :king:

Answers to the last round were:

In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit.
It was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
It had a perfectly round door, like a porthole, painted green
… with a shiny yellow brass knob in the exact middle.
The door opened on to a… tunnel… provided with polished chairs, and lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats – the Hobbit was fond of visitors.
The best rooms were all on the left-hand side (going in)…
…for these were the only ones to have windows, deep-set round windows...
…looking over his garden, and meadows beyond.

Answers to questions 1-8 may be found in The Hobbit, An Unexpected Party, p.1

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.
I am the clue-finder, the web-cutter, the stinging fly.
I was chosen for the lucky number.
I am he that buries his friends alive, and drowns them and draws them alive again from the water.
I came from the end of a bag but no bag went over me.
I am the friend of bears and the guest of eagles.
I am Ringwinner and Luckwearer; and I am Barrel-rider.

Answers to questions 9-15 may be found in The Hobbit, Inside Information, p.222-223

Tie-breakers:
Name each of the five armies that participated in the Battle of the Five Armies.
1. Goblins
2. Wild Wolves
3. Elves
4. Men
5. Dwarves

Answers to Tie-breakers may be found in The Hobbit, The Clouds Burst, p.281