Lore of the Ring Round 85: We have a Winner!

It's Tolkien's world, we just play with it.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

daughter_of_kings

Lore of the Ring Round 85: We have a Winner!

Post by daughter_of_kings » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:56 am

WELCOME one and all to Round 85 of the LORE OF THE RING contest!

Those of you who have played before are already familiar with the rules of the game. For those who haven’t, or need a refresher, here is the Tolkien Readers’ Digest Condensed Version:

:swoon: ANYONE can play. Just answer ANY of the questions below. Or all of them. Or none of them. As long as you send in an entry.

:swoon: An entry is worth one point. Each correct answer is good for another point. Whomever gets the most points in a round receives fame, glory, and the honor of being the Loremaster for the next round. If you want more than fame, glory, and the honor of being Loremaster, you should know that each point also counts for one chance to win the GRAND PRIZE DRAWING, that will take place sometime, at the Middle Earth Scribe’s discretion and or whim.

:swoon: DO NOT post your answers on the board. That takes the fun out of it for everyone.

:swoon: DO email them to the Middle Earth Scribe (middleearthscribe@gmail.com). Put “Contest Entry” on the subject line and your screen name in the email so that she awards your points to you and not to someone else at random.

:swoon: DO number your answers so that the Middle Earth Scribe knows which questions they go with. She likes guessing games, but refuses to play guess-which-question-this-goes-with.

:swoon: The questions (and therefore the answers) may come from any part of the BOOKS (The Hobbit as well as the LOTR trilogy, including introductory material, appendices, maps, etc.). You may use other sources to help find the answers, but beware of the movies… they are very bad at lore, and if you ask them for answers, they are likely to make up some gibberish on the spot and then try to sell it to you.

:swoon: You have until midnight (your time) on Monday, February 20th to send in your entry. In the event of a tie, the Middle Earth Scribe will send out 5 tie-breaker questions by email at some random time on Wednesday, the 22st. The winner and Loremaster for the next round will be announced here on Monday, the 27th.

:swoon: If you have any questions about the rules, the full official version may be found at the Scrapbook, or you may email questions to the Middle Earth Scribe.

Since this is the month of love and stuff, and I am a kind and benevolent Loremaster, I will give you a trio of hints. First off, all of these questions come from the LOTR trilogy. Secondly, all of them will be found within the chapters themselves (no appendices, maps, etc). And thirdly, they are listed here in the order in which they appear in the books. :love: :flower:

*~*~*THE PROVERB ROUND*~*~*
Old sayings become old sayings because people SAY them. Each of the following sayings was SPOKEN by someone in the story. Who SPOKE the following phrases? (Beware: they may have been quoting someone else, and that someone else is not the right answer.)

1. “Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.”

2. “Short cuts make long delays.”

3. “…he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.”

4. “…when pools are black and trees are bare, ‘tis evil in the Wild to fare.”

5. “…let him not vow to walk in the dark, who has not seen the nightfall.”

6. “It’s the job that’s never started as takes longest to finish.”

7. “Yet in doubt a man of worth will trust to his own wisdom.”

8. “…ill news is an ill guest…”

9. “…oft the unbidden guest proves the best company.”

10. “Night oft brings news to near kindred.”

11. “Where there’s life there’s hope…and need of vittles.”

12. “Where will wants not, a way opens…”

13. “Need brooks no delay, yet late is better than never.”

14. “Oft hope is born, when all is forlorn.”

15. “It needs but one foe to breed a war…”
Last edited by daughter_of_kings on Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

daughter_of_kings

Lore of the Ring Round 85

Post by daughter_of_kings » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:20 am

Tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, people... time's tickin' away! Image
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

Ladyhawk Baggins

Re: Lore of the Ring Round 85

Post by Ladyhawk Baggins » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:03 pm

Almost forgot. Snagged, and copied and pasted... Monday... I have until Monday...
I will take it. I will take it. I will take the Ring to Mordor, though I do not know the way. ~ Frodo Baggins

daughter_of_kings

Re: Lore of the Ring Round 85

Post by daughter_of_kings » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:55 pm

If you were waiting for the last minute to send in your entry... this is it.

Put down your pencils. Turn your test face down and pass it to the person in front of you...

I mean, get crackin' and send that email to the Middle Earth Scribe! There are lonely points sitting on her desk, just waiting to be awarded. Don't miss out on yours! :D

daughter_of_kings

Re: Lore of the Ring Round 85: We have a Winner!

Post by daughter_of_kings » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:07 am

(I apologize for being late... my computer decided to take Monday off.)

It is past time to announce the winner of this round, and that winner is....

:star: :star: :star: Ladyhawk Baggins! :star: :star: :star:

I am instructed by the Middle Earth Scribe (may the hair on her toes never fall out) to let you all know that she is putting the game on hold for a month or three to give people a break, as there hasn't been much participation lately, either here or anywhere else on the board. She will post later to let us all know when the game will be starting up again. In the meantime, if you have any ideas on how to encourage more participation, she would be most happy to hear it.

Oh, yes, one more thing... the answers:

1. “Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.”
Frodo (Three is Company, p.83)

2. “Short cuts make long delays.”
Pippin (A Short Cut to Mushrooms, p.86)

3. “…he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.”
Gandalf (The Council of Elrond, p.252)

4. “…when pools are black and trees are bare, ‘tis evil in the Wild to fare.”
Bilbo (The Ring Goes South, p.266)

5. “…let him not vow to walk in the dark, who has not seen the nightfall.”
Elrond (The Ring Goes South, p.274)

6. “It’s the job that’s never started as takes longest to finish.”
Sam (The Mirror of Galadriel, p.352)

7. “Yet in doubt a man of worth will trust to his own wisdom.”
Hama (The King of the Golden Hall, p.500)

8. “…ill news is an ill guest…”
Gríma/Wormtongue (The King of the Golden Hall, p.502)

9. “…oft the unbidden guest proves the best company.”
Éomer (Helm’s Deep, p.522)

10. “Night oft brings news to near kindred.”
Faramir (The Window on the West, p.650)

11. “Where there’s life there’s hope…and need of vittles.”
Sam (Journey to the Cross-roads, p.685)

12. “Where will wants not, a way opens…”
Dernhelm/ Éowyn (The Muster of Rohan, p.787)

13. “Need brooks no delay, yet late is better than never.”
Éomer (The Ride of the Rohirrim, p.817)

14. “Oft hope is born, when all is forlorn.”
Legolas (The Last Debate, p.859)

15. “It needs but one foe to breed a war…”
Éowyn (The Steward and the King, p.937)

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:33 am

Way to go Ladyhawk!!!! Congratulations!!!!

Doc
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

suzie-sheelf

Post by suzie-sheelf » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Congratulations Lady Hawk Baggins.

Sorry I didn't play this round, probably wont be playing next round either. My books are still packed away in a storage facility, and my husband tells me it ill be a few more weeks before, I have access to them. :(
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

Wanderer

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:38 am

Hopefully I will be getting a new laptop in a month or so, so I'll be able to be more active then. Right now the only internet access I really have is on my lunch break at work. :?
~*Wandering the roads of life and love*~
*~I am of the roads of life. Let us see where they shall lead. If we like them not, we shall make our own paths~*

~*Bree*~