Mad Libs!!

It's Tolkien's world, we just play with it.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Wanderer

Mad Libs!!

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:32 pm

So I was looking through all the old topics in this Word Game forum to see if there were any games that were different than the ones on the first page and I found a topic post for Mad Libs by nin_maldor. It looks like it never went anywhere, but I thought it sounded like fun!

I copied (with some editing) the following from that very old post.
Many of us have heard of a fun word game called Mad Libs. If you haven't, or just forgot how to play, I'll tell you the rules.
The person who's "it" writes down a part of the LotR (or Hobbit) movie or book and takes out a few words.

Let's say I'm "it" and I took out the word 'Trees', then I'd ask for a Plural Noun. And lets also say that you give me the Plural Noun, 'Feet'. I'd then replace the word 'Trees' with the word 'feet'. It can get really funny when the whole story gets written out with the words you picked. The thing is, I don't show you the story until I get all the words I need. I'll tell you the kinds of words I need and everyone can pick a word until all the slots are filled.

Here is a list of what might be asked for. They will be asked for in the order that they are needed.
  • -Adverb tells how something is done. It modifies a verb and usually ends in 'ly'. Ex: Carefully, modestly, greedily.
    -Adjective describes something or somebody. Ex: Lumpy, soft, messy.
    -Verb an action word. Ex: Run, swim, jump, fly.
    -Past Tense Verb it happened in the past. Ex: Ran, swam, jumped, flew.
    -Noun a name of a person, place, or thing. Ex: Mother, bathtub, nose, umbrella. (We should probably shy away from names of characters for simplicity's sake.)
    -Plural Noun more than one. Ex: Feet, Dogs, Phones etc.
    -Place like a country, city, or room. Ex: Mordor, Fangorn, Bag End, the bathroom.
Please keep all words PG, obviously.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to pick the next person to be "it" after all the words are picked and the part gets posted? That's really the only issue I'm finding with this. Maybe I'll find a random person picker thing online and enter everyone's tag who played and that's how that will be decided. FATE!

SO! Who wants to play?!?!? :D

I need the following:
Adjective, adjective, plural noun, adjective, noun, verb, verb.
~*Wandering the roads of life and love*~
*~I am of the roads of life. Let us see where they shall lead. If we like them not, we shall make our own paths~*

~*Bree*~

DoctorGamgee

Mad Libs!!

Post by DoctorGamgee » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:13 am

Adjective 1-- cantankerous.
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

Robin Gamgee

Mad Libs!!

Post by Robin Gamgee » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:30 pm

Adjective 2- flirty :wink:
"I fear it may be so with mine," said Frodo. "There is no real going back. Though I may come to the Shire, it will not seem the same; for I shall not be the same. I am wounded with knife, sting, and tooth, and a long burden. Where shall I find rest?"

Strange Elf

Mad Libs!!

Post by Strange Elf » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:35 am

I'll play once I've seen how it works. It sounds like fun
There was also a Strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas,..... (FOTR, The council of Elrond)

Wanderer

Re: Mad Libs!!

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:06 pm

I still need a plural noun, adjective, noun, verb, and another verb. :D You can do it guys!
*~I am of the roads of life. Let us see where they shall lead. If we like them not, we shall make our own paths~*

~*Bree*~

Icarus

Post by Icarus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:32 pm

Plural Noun: sasquatches!
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." – Thomas Jefferson

Wanderer

Post by Wanderer » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:18 am

How about you guys can pick more than one until we can get enough players :roll:
adjective, noun, verb, and another verb.

~*Bree*~

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:44 am

Adjective -- Shpadoinkle
Verb -- jiggle

Icarus

Post by Icarus » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:45 pm

OK, Dr G. I call foul. I think we should keep it to at least semi-real words :-p.

Noun: word
verb: foul (or fouled, as necessary)
<snicker>
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." – Thomas Jefferson

Wanderer

Post by Wanderer » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:19 pm

Well, according to Urban Dictionary, Dr.G is correct.
ShpadoinkleAn undefined word created by Trey Parker while writing the title song for his student film "Cannibal! The Musical" (It was meant to be only temporary until he thought of an appropriate adjective but it ended up sticking). Can be used in replacement of any adjective or in the expletive.
"That's a shpadoinkle car!"
"Oh shpadoinkle! I have a paper due today!"
AND THUS! We have our mad lib!

After a while they came to a belt of (cantankerous) and very (flirty) (sasquatches), and beyond these to a (shpadoinkle) (word) through which you could neither (jiggle) nor (foul).

Using Random.org to pick a random assigned number, Icarus is "It" next!

~*Bree*~

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:17 pm

My dear Icarus...

As we can extrapolate from The Princess Bride:

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia," but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Voice Professor when RANDOM QUOTES FROM MUSICALS is on the line!"

That's a mighty Shpadoinkle Mad Lib Wanderer.

You're Up, Mad Ic!

Icarus

Post by Icarus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:26 am

OK, give me a minute (since it's 2am :-p).

But I still call foul, both on using the urban dictionary AND on quoting ANYTHING from Trey Parker... and a technical on top of that for putting that piece of Gou shi in the same category as Les Mis ;-).

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:20 am

While I understand (and share) your dislike of South Park and many of the other Trey Parker things that have come out, this musical was written when they were still in school and had a modicum of restraint. It is also delightfully funny and a great film (though not one for small children) that simultaneously spoofs and glories the history of Colorado and musical theater traditions while at the same time having a great time.

But don't take my word on it, This is Spadoinkle Day (totally family friendly) watch it for yourself. If you aren't laughing by the end, I'll consider your thoughts on the subject. Otherwise, it stands.

Wanderer

Post by Wanderer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:40 am

Don't forget it's your turn Icarus! :D

~*Bree*~

Wanderer

Post by Wanderer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:01 pm

I PMed Icarus, but who knows.
If anyone else wants to take a turn, please feel free!!! :grin:

~*Bree*~