Defining characteristics of your Nation

A place for all off-topic discussion.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

Primula

Defining characteristics of your Nation

Post by Primula » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:55 pm

Well, last night we got a phone call from my Rose - a friend of hers family was supposed to host a Japanese exchange student but due to miscommunications they wouldn't be available til Sunday... so was it all right if she came home with a Japanese girl who barely speaks English, and could she stay a bit? Of course we said yes - Starflower and I did a rapid, panicked cleaning of the house and off we went.

Today we made pancakes with maple syrup and orange juice - the quintessential American breakfast. She seemed very happy with it. Now I get to go shopping for whatever seems "American".... peanut butter? Oreos? pizza? Hm. We're taking her to the local planetarium and the rose gardens, we'll see what else comes up. Anyway - all this made me think, what do you guys think defines regular life in your part of the world, or in your state?

yaralindi

Re: Defining characteristics of your Nation

Post by yaralindi » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:24 pm

Primula wrote:Anyway - all this made me think, what do you guys think defines regular life in your part of the world, or in your state?
If I had to pick one dish that was truly American and something that hasn't migrated to Japan (which now has plenty of burger and pizza joints), I'd go for barbequed ribs. Toss in a side of mac and cheese and you can't get much more 'Murcan.

Dee says clam chowder as well since she likes this. Why? I haven't a clue.
Purveyor of ancient songs

Ladyhawk Baggins

Post by Ladyhawk Baggins » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:11 pm

We had Yugoslavian exchange students when I was knee-high to a grasshopper, and we took them to Disneyland and the Grand Canyon. :)
I will take it. I will take it. I will take the Ring to Mordor, though I do not know the way. ~ Frodo Baggins

Primula

Post by Primula » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:35 am

On the way back from the planetarium (which she loved) and an impromptu climb up a small mountain to see the view ("Up! Up?" she says, pointing hopefully), she was treated to a high quality cheeseburger and a strawberry shake - turns out she had no idea what a shake was and had never had one. She LOVED that shake.

The mint oreos went over very well too - She took the rest of the package with her to her host home. We'll see her again next weekend (she's gotten attached to my daughters) and will take her to the beach for some of that real clam chowder in a sourdough bowl like Dee recommends.

I had a one lady mention that jello was always a hit with students from various countries her family had hosted - I admit, jello wouldn't have occurred to me.

frodosmiss

Post by frodosmiss » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:00 pm

Do you take older-than-average exchange students from North Dakota, Prim?? :lol: :lol:
Speaking of shakes, if it were summer, I would take a student to the Dairy Queen and if it was late summer, I would take them to see some of our beautiful sunflower and wheat fields, trying hard to avoid the pesky oil wells that have sprung up all over this part of my state! To watch a sunrise or sunset over the ND prairie is a beautiful thing.... :cloud9:
..the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:56 am

Yaralindi has a point about what "hasn't already migrated to Japan". When I think about what is quintessentially American, I think cheeseburger, fries and a shake. After that, apple pie and baseball. Of those... well, apple pie may not have migrated yet... :grin:

8)
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

yaralindi

Post by yaralindi » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:25 am

daughter_of_kings wrote:Yaralindi has a point about what "hasn't already migrated to Japan". When I think about what is quintessentially American, I think cheeseburger, fries and a shake. After that, apple pie and baseball. Of those... well, apple pie may not have migrated yet... :grin:

8)
Japanese Apply Pie Recipe YouTube Video

Actually one of the best demonstrations of how to make a proper pie crust that I've ever seen. The pie is delicious as well.
Purveyor of ancient songs

Primula

Post by Primula » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:55 am

We knew they have an region of Japan that is known for its apples, so the pie was skipped but we did ensure she had one meal of meatloaf with homemade biscuits. :yum:

And the trip to the beach went great! The rain clouds blew away and there was (surprisingly) sunshine in March, with a bit of rain only towards the end. Cannon Beach has fun shops and great coffee (and green tea) too. She had to struggle to find an English word but she managed tell us it was "Wonderful!"

And an older-than-average "student" from North Dakota would be always welcome at our house too. :lol:

frodosmiss

Post by frodosmiss » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:52 pm

:yay: :yay:
..the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.