Tolkienfest in Portland

Upcoming events, announcements and moots,
Share your travels and picture links here.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

JimboBaggins

Tolkienfest in Portland

Post by JimboBaggins » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:51 pm

Just a reminder of the upcoming party in Portland, Oregon on Saturday, January 15th..

http://www.mcmenamins.com/events/84705- ... thday-Bash

Be there!
"But I wish Bilbo could have seen Treebeard: how we shall manage to describe him to the old hobbit, if ever we get back, I can't think."

lindorie
Location: north central Texas, but my heart is in Minas Tirith

Re: Tolkienfest in Portland

Post by lindorie » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:25 pm

:sigh: Wish I could.

agape4rivendell

Post by agape4rivendell » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:26 pm

Will be there in thought......
'There will be only one Steward in Gondor, so long as I am King. I will have you as my Steward, or I will have none." PlasticChevy - The Captain and the King

Mathom

Post by Mathom » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:42 pm

Hi Jimbo. I'm in Portland this week, visiting my daughter and her family. She says ok to this event so I'll be there with my granddaughter. What time will you be there?

JimboBaggins

Post by JimboBaggins » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:02 pm

Mathom.
If I make it it'll be for the first movie, 10am'ish.
However, we may not make it this year. Our sister just had a major operation today and we might go to Eugene.
She's in ICU for a few days so probably can't visit anyway.
Found out last year if you don't get there early and get a wrist band it will fill to capacity and they'll turn you away. I pursuaded them with a Jedi mind trick to let me and my friend go in. We're weren't the droids they're looking for. :sneak:
I'm 6'6" with glasses, good lookin' guy, right! Ha! :zombie:
Hope brother Onomir will be there with family so that'll be two 6'6", good looking guys. Ha! again. :grin:
Jimbo
"But I wish Bilbo could have seen Treebeard: how we shall manage to describe him to the old hobbit, if ever we get back, I can't think."

Mathom

Post by Mathom » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:34 pm

Jimbo, Sorry to hear about your sister. Thanks for letting me know and also for the warning to arrive early. We'll most likely get there 10ish and hopefully get wristbands, stick around for the beginning of FOTR but then leave when the baby gets fussy and return in the afternoon to see the costumes, etc. I'll look for you and Onomir. I'll be the old lady with the daughter and baby granddaughter in tow.

Mathom

Post by Mathom » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:43 pm

We did make it to the Tolkienfest for a short time in the morning (saw part of FOTR before the baby got cranky) and then we came back for the costume contest but I didn't see you, Jimbo. Were you there?

If you happened to get to the costume contest you saw my granddaughter. She won 2nd place for her baby dragon costume (which I made for her). My daughter carried her in the contest and I took photos. I've been to other Tolkien events where there were lots of adults in costumes, but I've never seen so many children dressed as elves, hobbits, and rangers before. So much cuteness in one place! :-)

JimboBaggins

Post by JimboBaggins » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:29 pm

Mathom,
Sorry I missed you. I know I must have seen you amongst the crowd.
I made it there around 10:45 and watched FOTR. Was sitting near front on right side aisle. Brother Onomir was the guy yelling, Gondor!, just as the movie began. I considered getting up in front and yelling your name but my shyness overcame that bravado. Afterwards, I watched about 20 minutes of the Radio Theater reenacting The Hobbit. Always fun to watch. The actor that does Smaug has a great booming voice and every year a few little tykes start crying when he gets in charactor. Had to leave after that. Back into one wet soggy day.
I think name tags would be cool with everyone using Middle Earth names.
There were more fans in costume this year than ever, especially the little ones as hobbits.
Congrats on the granddaughter pulling in a 2nd place ribbon! Making the Proudfeet, Tooks & Bagging's proud.

Next year!
JB

Mathom

Post by Mathom » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:16 pm

Oh well, sounds like you had a good time and maybe we'll meet there next year.

Strange Elf

Post by Strange Elf » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:47 am

Are you going to post pictures of your little Dragon, Mathom? We'd love to see them.
There was also a Strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas,..... (FOTR, The council of Elrond)