Texas Moot 2011?

Upcoming events, announcements and moots,
Share your travels and picture links here.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

AnnaEstel

Texas Moot 2011?

Post by AnnaEstel » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:28 pm

So, the hour grows late and the Texas Moot 2011 has yet to be planned. First - is there great enough interest to do one? Is anyone willing to help take the reigns to make it happen? Do we want a summer gathering, say late June to early august, or something late inthe year (which we haven't done yet)? Chime in and say your piece! Hope to hear from lots of you! :)
Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!

daughter_of_kings

Texas Moot 2011?

Post by daughter_of_kings » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:34 pm

Wild horses couldn't keep me away from a Texas Moot, so whenever/wherever it happens, I'll be there... though my hubby may complain about the shrinkage to the bank account. :P
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

Ashlyn

Re: Texas Moot 2011?

Post by Ashlyn » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:09 pm

Well, depends on when it is ... ... as ALEP II (There and Back Again) is in late September/early October! But, if time and finances permit, I'd love to try to come again!!
He wore a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, and a silver scarf. He had a long white beard and bushy eyebrows that stuck out beyond the brim of his hat.

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:33 pm

I'm up for it. We can't do late August, as that is mom's 85th birthday, but other than that, we will find a way to get there.

Dr.G
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

frodosmiss

Post by frodosmiss » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:19 pm

I'm interested to see how this shakes out....you never know~ someday, you could have a NoDak in your midst! :hi:
..the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:02 pm

We keep Hopin'.....

Fíriel

Post by Fíriel » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:55 am

Sorry I dropped the ball on this. My year has been really hectic, and I've had some unexpected expenses, so I'm thinking I won't be able to host this year, even though it's my turn. I'm totally up for helping out, though!
"Gondor! Gondor, between the mountains and the sea!
West Wind blew there; the light upon the Silver Tree...."

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:12 am

What type of year should we have? In the past few, we have picked somewhat remote-ish places out in the woods where we can get away from the noise. I am happy to spend time with my friends, regardless of where. Do we want to stick with this mode, or should we plan a Hobbits Hit Seaworld year where the kids have more to do so that they are easier to manage and flights in/out are easier for Ashlyn (and Frodosmiss...).

Ashlyn

Post by Ashlyn » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:27 am

DoctorGamgee wrote:. . . and flights in/out are easier for Ashlyn (and Frodosmiss...).
Hey now! Remember, I'm a hobbit ... hobbits don't like heights ... therefore, "I" don't like heights (anything over the 5th floor is a little too high for me) ... and I have yet to earn my wings, so I do not fly!!!!!!! :car: or even :pony: work for me!!
He wore a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, and a silver scarf. He had a long white beard and bushy eyebrows that stuck out beyond the brim of his hat.

AnnaEstel

Post by AnnaEstel » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:25 pm

It is getting very late to find a 'remote' location that would fit our wants. We may well land in a hotel with a conference room for this one. I'd thought of trying to meet for one of the RenFest weekends, but on second thought that's not a great idea, specially with kids in tow. I'm wide open to suggestions on location and time. I very much like the non-event focused events we've been having. To me mooting is about fellowship, and that is best accomplished with a sit and chat friendly venue. So, suggestions?
Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:30 am

"Conference rooms" tend to be a bit (a lot) expensive, since they're normally used by businesses with expense accounts. Those who were at our first moot will remember that the hotel had a "party room"... that was unique in that it had been the first manager's apartment, so it had a kitchenette. Most hotels (other than some of the extended-stay suites) don't have that sort of accommodation. That said, if we got somewhere that had actual suites (with a kitchenette), and if there weren't too many of us, we could stuff everyone into the living area of a suite during the day, for LOTR-related activities or just flappin' our gums. I just don't know of any place like that, off hand, and I don't know if that first hotel still has their "party room", either.

Our neighbors have quit running the B&B we used last year. There is another one down the road, though, run by some friends of theirs... I could look into it.

DocG... we haven't had a moot in your neck of the woods yet.... any venues down there that you know of that would suit our needs?
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:42 am

It is a possibility...

Most of the places here are either really rustic or are private ranches. However, I have a former student who has a ranch that might be a possibility. For a gathering place, if nothing else. Perhaps we could all hotel together, then go out to the ranch for the daily gum-flapin. Let me see what I can do... I don't have enough room at my house to put you up overnight (two bathroos, 15 people...not a pretty picture). However, as a place to meet and moot, the house has a large back yard with a trampoline for the kids and tons of toys, a kitchen which is not averse to being used, and room for sitting/gaming, movie watching or contest having. If you all (and my wife) would agree to it and the ranch falls through...

Let me see what I can come up with as options...

Dr.G

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:04 pm

So we are scoping possible sites for daily fun (assuming that you will want AC in summer in Laredo at night and not want to hit a camp ground). Here is a link to a local park Lake Casablanca. As y'all would be coming (and I have a house here to sleep in) perhaps we could rent the first facility on Saturday (I would cover the cost as I don't have to rent rooms). It is complete with electric for fans, stove, fridge and indoor plumbing (always a favorite). It is not the only option, only the first I have found. What thinkest thou?

Lake Casa Blanca

Oh, and date...How is Early/mid June?

Dr.G

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:08 am

DoctorGamgee wrote: (assuming that you will want AC in summer in Laredo at night...
Yes, please! :yes: And during the day as well, if you please! In fact, how about some :snow: :snow: , if you can manage it. :grin:

Ashlyn

Post by Ashlyn » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:51 pm

daughter_of_kings wrote:
DoctorGamgee wrote: (assuming that you will want AC in summer in Laredo at night...
Yes, please! :yes: And during the day as well, if you please! In fact, how about some :snow: :snow: , if you can manage it. :grin:
Oh, yes, most decidedly (if I get to come)!! And, as DoK said, some :snow: :snow: would be most welcome also!!!