Texas Moot 2011?

Upcoming events, announcements and moots,
Share your travels and picture links here.

Moderators: DoctorGamgee, Primula, Rosie, daughter_of_kings, Moderators

lindorie
Location: north central Texas, but my heart is in Minas Tirith

Re: Texas Moot 2011?

Post by lindorie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:59 am

would have to do some serious research into flights, etc before committing to anything in Laredo. That's one heck of a drive for a weekend. Doug has his heart set on an SCA event in Colorado in the early summer, but we are not sure if we will go because of the gas prices. Count us as a maybe for right now.

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:11 am

Well, Lind, we haven't had a moot up in your part of the country yet, either. Got any suggestions for a venue in your neighborhood? We don't have anything set in stone yet.
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

Primula

Post by Primula » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:24 am

You haven't had a Texas Moot in my part of the country yet either. :wink: If it ever becomes a 'road show' I'll be glad to be one of the stops for y'all.
:car:

lindorie
Location: north central Texas, but my heart is in Minas Tirith

Post by lindorie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:50 pm

daughter_of_kings wrote:Well, Lind, we haven't had a moot up in your part of the country yet, either. Got any suggestions for a venue in your neighborhood? We don't have anything set in stone yet.
True, but I'm already in charge of an SCA event this summer and am hoping to have my foot operated on. ...LOL and my husband says my head examined. Will keep my eyes peeled for a future moot.

Ashlyn

Post by Ashlyn » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:38 pm

Primula wrote:You haven't had a Texas Moot in my part of the country yet either. :wink: If it ever becomes a 'road show' I'll be glad to be one of the stops for y'all.
:car:
As Prim said, you haven't had one in my area either ... ... and I do have a house now ... ... with two (yes, count them, two) spare bedrooms ... ... though you might want to bring air mattresses as there aren't any beds in them yet!! :wink: :wink:
He wore a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, and a silver scarf. He had a long white beard and bushy eyebrows that stuck out beyond the brim of his hat.

AnnaEstel

Post by AnnaEstel » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:49 pm

Mid june is bad for me. We have a reunion out of state and I'll be on the road from June 11 to June 25. That said if that time works best for everyone else go for it. We've had to do without folks before. If it's my turn to miss, so be it. I'm still willing to help plan and such.
Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:15 pm

So... what's the plan?
If the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... water your grass.

Ashlyn

Post by Ashlyn » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:24 pm

daughter_of_kings wrote:So... what's the plan?
:shrug: An out-of-state Texas moot?

Truthfully, the way it's looking now, I may not be able to make it this year, but will wait to see the actual time and location before saying a definite "no".
He wore a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, and a silver scarf. He had a long white beard and bushy eyebrows that stuck out beyond the brim of his hat.

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:37 pm

daughter_of_kings wrote:So... what's the plan?
I find that I am having a hard time getting it together. We are opening a new building for our department, and I have been asked for more meetings and more research which has tapped out my ability to find a venue. Does anyone have the info for the places we have used before and perhaps they might be available again?

Sorry. I know everyone else is busy too...but unless we have a ton of money, or want to just meet at an extended stay hotel...Laredo is in the middle of nowhere.

Depending on what we come up with, a meeting at Embassy Suites would be 134.00/per night for a two room two bed room (shared by two would be 134 a piece). of course, if you didn't want to share, you could have one to yourself, I suppose. It has the AC that folks want, as well as an indoor pool and the ability to eat at the onsite restaurant, plus morning meal is provided. There is also the mexican suite at La Posada downtown. A lovely old world Hotel with AC, a concierge service for breakfast and botanas in the afternoon, and of course an excellent restaurant in house, as well as access to local great restaurants. Both of them could come up with a meeting room if we asked for one. No way to cook, but we could always come here to do that...

Of course, if we are giong to come here to do that then a cheaper place might be found. I have not heard any thoughts on this possibility when it was posted before...so maybe not an idea y'all like.

Anyone else want to try to find a place. I am open for suggestions...

Dr.G
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean!

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Mon May 02, 2011 6:04 am

If you are willing to have us all invade your home for the daytime activities, that would seem to be the least expensive route. I hope there are hotels nearby, so that we don't have to drive far to get to our beds after a long day of eating and talking... and eating.

If you'd rather not have your home invaded, then either of the hotels you mentioned would be an option... expensive, yes, but doable, especially if we double up on a room... assuming everyone's willing.

Show of hands... who's up for this?

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Mon May 02, 2011 12:29 pm

There is a lovely best western a mile from my house and easy to get to which would be cheaper (and comes with a continental breakfast). My inlaws stay there when they come. And our house is not palacial, but we have plenty of chairs and a kitchen which looks into the livingroom, so the cooks would be facing the eaters...and we have a back porch for when you want some quite and a trampoline when you want the kids to go do something else, and XBOX LOTR and a DVD player... ;-) And, of course, if this is the chosen route, then I would offer to pay for the food we cook, as I have no other expenses (travel/lodging) to make. Dinner out would be Dutch Treat...

But either way is fine, as makes you most comfortable...

Dr.G

daughter_of_kings

Post by daughter_of_kings » Wed May 04, 2011 6:00 pm

Sounds like a great plan to me, Doc!

Now, when shall it be? DocG, you suggested mid-June, and AE, you said no-can-do to that... any other suggestions?

The whole month of May and the first week of June are filled up for me at work, and I am going to a workshop/short course the first week of August... but everything in between is relatively flexible, as is everything after.

AnnaEstel

Post by AnnaEstel » Sat May 14, 2011 6:22 pm

At the moment I could do any weekend in July or the first weekend of august. Next vote?
Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!

DoctorGamgee

Post by DoctorGamgee » Sat May 14, 2011 7:02 pm

Let me speak to the Mrs. and see what works. I'll add a post to the thread and see who we get for what weekend.

Dr.G